Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 12, 2008, 6:01 PM   #1

Is the only difference between these 2 is live view ,tilting LCD and weight? Thats it?

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...0&show=all

I found A200 for $500 CAN.Does not look like I can get this any cheaper. Next step for me to get to the store to try it out.

vic4878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2008, 6:12 PM   #2
Administrator

For the most part...

The viewfinder is smaller with the A300. They had to make it smaller to make room for the separate Live View sensor this model uses without increasing the body size too much (the placement of the live view sensor allows it to see the same TTL image that would normally be seen by the optical viewfinder). So, I'd try them out in a store to see what you think.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 4:53 AM   #3

Black's Photography currently has their a200 on sale for $469, in case this isn't the deal you referring to.

Good luck!
cherylam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 7:16 AM   #4

cherylam wrote:
Quote:
Black's Photography currently has their a200 on sale for $469, in case this isn't the deal you referring to.

Good luck!
Thanks for the tip! I checked lots of places and forgot to check Blacks:?This seems to be the best deal so far since othershave it on "sale" for $499. Thanks!
vic4878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 2:05 PM   #5

I too am trying to decide if a Sony dSLR is the right choice for me. One question I have is that if the a200 and a300 are essentially the same except for Live View, why do most reviews suggest that the IQ of the a300 is below that of the a200.

I would be curious to hear the feedback on this board.
upsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 2:08 PM   #6
Administrator

I don't buy it (different IQ between the A300 and A200). If they have controlled conditions tests that show that (exactly the same subjects, lighting and camera settings for aperture, shutter speed, ISO speed, White Balance, Dynamic Range Optimization settings, image resolution/quality, color space, sharpening, contrast, etc. etc.), using the same lens, I'd like the see them (i.e., I'm extremely skeptical that there would be any difference between them).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote