Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 14, 2008, 8:54 AM   #1

Okay, I've posted before and the info you gave me was great. I/we (my husband and I) have decided to go with a DSLR as opposed to the high end point and shoot. We've narrowed it down to the Canon xsi or the Sony alpha 300. We are not looking into getting into any serious photography..just indoor and outdoor pics of our family, grandchildren (who are active and fast), scenery pics, boating pics (waves, whales etc.) something that we would need to use shutter priority as well as ap..no sports stuff (for now).Okay here'swhere we are at: The Canon is lighter in weight (and we like that) I'd prefer something that is not heavy or bulky), Canon is rated for better pic quality (on the dp review 9.0/10 as compared to sony 8.0/10) and of course I want the best pic quality, the overall value is in Sony's favor (9.0 vs 8.0), speed is in Canon's favor (this is a feature that is impt to me ), canon has the lens stablization (and I've been told that this is preferable than the body stablization..?) Sony has the body stabilization.. On the other hand..Sony is a little less expensive (not a big factor), the lens kit that comes with it has a higher range (18-70 vs 18-55) I like this idea, but not if the Sony lens is garbage. The Sony has the moveable live view(which would come in handy for high shots and if shooting straight down. (we wanted the live view and will use it as well as the viewfinder), Sony uses Minolta lens (my husband has the Minolta x700 and a bunch of lens to boot), the Canon uses the SD card and the lithium ion cell (block) battery whilst the Sony uses the compact flash and lithium AA batteries). I prefer the Canon sd and lithium cell!! The canon offers 1 year warranty, the Sony offer 2 years ( the choice is obvious here); also if you look at the owner's opinions in dp preview sony has the higher rating.) One last thing..I probably will never shoot in RAW (and that's just a probably) and I will use the auto focus a fair amount as well as manual.Canon seems to have the better name/reputation as far as cameras go, but then Sony is big in the digitlal world..?Okay... with all that what do we get?? There are cons and pros to both and we're hoping to here back from those who have used either cameraand from those with experience/knowledge with DSLR photography who can give us some good advice! It's a big choice and we want to make the right one and not regret our decision. Please help!! We value all suggestions, comments and advice!! Thanks for your help!
CAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2008, 8:58 AM   #2
Administrator

CAnn wrote:
Quote:
Canon is rated for better pic quality (on the dp review 9.0/10 as compared to sony 8.0/10) and of course I want the best pic quality, the overall value is in Sony's favor (9.0 vs 8.0), speed is in Canon's favor (this is a feature that is impt to me...
dpreview.com has not reviewed the Sony A300. ;-) They reviewed the A350 (not the A300). The A300 uses a different sensor (10MP in the A300 versus 14MP in the A350), which means smaller file sizes (and faster frame rates in this case) and lower noise levels as ISO speeds are increased (thanks to larger photosites for each pixel since you're not trying to stuff as many of them into the same size sensor). The lower resolution sensor in the A300 also places less demands on the lens quality needed (since some lenses may not resolve enough detail to take advantage of a denser sensor like the one in the A350).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2008, 9:28 AM   #3
Administrator

CAnn wrote:
Quote:
Sony uses Minolta lens (my husband has the Minolta x700 and a bunch of lens to boot)
The Sony can use any Minolta Autofocus lens (a.k.a, Minolta A, Maxxum, Dynax, Alpha mount lenses). It will *not* use your husband's lenses (which are older Minolta manual focus lenses). The X700 is a manual focus camera model, and it uses the older Minolta MC/MD manual focus lens mount.

Minolta changed to a new electronic lens mount 23 years ago in 1985, with the launch of the Maxxum 7000 and a new line of Autofocus lenses. This same Autofocus lens mount is used by the Sony dSLR models. Canon changed their lens mount a couple of years later (going from an FD mount for manual focus lenses to their newer EF mount for Autofocus lenses).

Old Jun 14, 2008, 11:01 AM   #4

Hmm ...Sony info book stated all features the same except that A350 had 14.2 megapixels and A300 had 10.2. But if that's the case, I would just consider the A350 rather than the A300 (just a little more pricey that's all. Thanks for that info!

CAnn
Old Jun 14, 2008, 11:03 AM   #5

Thank-you I didn't know that!! That at least cuts out one of the bonuses of getting the Sony. Thank you very much for that very valuable information!!

CAnn
Old Jun 14, 2008, 11:06 AM   #6
Administrator

CAnn wrote:
Quote:
Hmm ...Sony info book stated all features the same except that A350 had 14.2 megapixels and A300 had 10.2. But if that's the case, I would just consider the A350 rather than the A300 (just a little more pricey that's all. Thanks for that info!
Personally, I think the A300 has the best image quality between these Sony models, especially if you need to shoot at higher ISO speeds with a camera. The A300 is also a little faster camera (cycle times between photos using continuous mode).

Also, as I mentioned in my first post, a higher resolution sensor like the A350 places more demands on the lens quality needed for best results. More megapixels is not always a good thing. That's because the photosite for each pixel needs to be smaller to fit more of them into the same size sensor. That means less surface area for each photosite, requiring more amplification for equivalent sensitivty to light. This amplification also increases noise levels (sort of like turning up the volume on a weak radio station, only instead of static and hiss, you get image noise).

If you plan on using a camera at higher ISO speeds much, I'd suggest the A300 instead.

P.S.

If you plan on shooting primarly in very good light (outdoors in the daytime), and need the extra detail for very large prints, the A350 can take nice photos. But, don't expect to be able to take advantage of this type of sensor using the kit lenses (they won't resolve enough detail to get the best out of this 14MP sensor). For most uses, I'd suggest sticking with the A300 instead (and 10 Megapixels is plenty for commonly used print sizes).