Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 15, 2008, 12:37 AM   #1

Hi,

I'm buying my first digital camera, and am finding it hard to figure out which camera is the best one. I'd like a camera that can do it all - fast shutter speed, wide angle, zoom, able to take pictures in low light, etc. I take a lot of pictures of people (often indoor) and landscapes. It would also be nice if the camera could have some manual features since I'll be using this for a photography class and I'm trying (finally) to move away from film.

My top two choices are the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX500 or the Canon PS G9. I've seen lots of reviews for the G9, but none on the FX500. Any idea for how these two cameras compare?

I'm also thinking of these cameras: Canon SD870-IE, Casio Exilim Zoom EX-Z200, Fujifilm Finepix F100fd, Olympus Stylus 1020, and Nikon Coolpix P80. I already know that I don't like the Sony Cypershot cameras - they have just the basics and I definitely want my first digital camera to be more than a simple P&S.

Thanks for any suggestions/ideas.

Susie
susieorisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2008, 12:10 PM   #2

susieorisa wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

My top two choices are the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX500 or the Canon PS G9. I've seen lots of reviews for the G9, but none on the FX500. Any idea for how these two cameras compare?
Two two really don't.

The FX500 is a sub-compact and the G9 is an advances smaller digicam that, to me, does not qualify as a compact (unless you are comparing to a DSLR), and definitely not subcompact. It doesn't even really offer out of the box wide angle ability. A 35mm equivalent of 35mm is what I would call semi-wide.

Of the two, the G9 will give you better overall image quality with DSLR-like controlability, including the option of shooting RAW. The FX500's positives are a 25mm wide angle, touch screen controls and you can put it in virtually any pocket, but the image quality will lag the G9... in come cases substantially.

The Canon youreally need to compare to the FX500 is the SD, Digital Elph series, not the G9. Between the two you've listed, the G9 would be the serious users choice. You'd need to buy the adaptor and wide angle lens is you want real wide angle capability that can be easily printed on traditional sized paper. I say that because there's always the option of stitching two or more frames to create really wide views, but printing those files can be another story....unless you like super long, narrow strips of an image with lot of unused space on the sheet. Of course, if you never print anything, that's not an issue.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2008, 4:26 PM   #3

Thanks! I really loved the wide angle of the Panasonic (for landscapes), and didn't want to carry around lens. Ultimately the image quality and manual control are the most important features, so it sounds like the G9 is a much better option for me.

Susan
Old Jun 16, 2008, 4:13 PM   #4

You might want to give some consideration to the Panasonic FZ18. 28-500mm equivalent lens so you get something wider than 35mm to play with. I've only handled it in the store, but it seems to get mostly good reviews. I LOVE my G1 and G2, but I think if I had to buy either a G9 or the FZ18 today, I'd lean towards the FZ18 or the FZ50.
cratz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2008, 10:59 PM   #5

Thank you for the alternative suggestion. I've looked online and was surprised that it offers a lot of what I'm looking for, particularly the range (without lens). I guess I naively assumed that newer must be better. At the same time, I'm going to try to go to a store to try one out. I was able to get a hold of the Panasonic DMC-FX500 yesterday and I was surprised at how much I didn't like it. The outdoor shots were beautiful but the indoor shots did not capture true colors, even to my unprofessional eye. It was disappointing.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 2:26 PM   #6

If you are interested in the FZ18, here's a blog with lots of info concerning the camera.

http://www.digicamhelp.com/camera-logs/9/

If you want to see what you could do with the FZ18, here's some great photos;

http://fiveprime.org/hivemind/Tags/fz18

Dennis

denncald is offline   Reply With Quote