Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 16, 2008, 8:33 PM   #1

I am looking at these 3 cameras and am not sure which one to get .

Canon SD950IS

Panasonic TZ4 and the Panasonic TZ5

Which is more important optical zoom or megapixels?

I like the pocket Point and short cameras. If I could get themost out of the optical zoom and megapixels that would be the way to go if possible.

I like all 3 of them but am not sure which one would gave you the best picture for your money. Like they always say get the most bag for your dollar. Not sure if that hold ture with cameras? :|

Eaglw Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2008, 9:32 AM   #2

Your question can't be answered based on the information you've provided.

Choosing the right camera depends on the needs of the individual. To some people, 12 megapixels is important, to others a very long optical zoom is important.

What do you want in your new camera? How large a camera? How about image quality? How much do you want to spend? What will you be using your camera for? What sorts of photos do you think you'll be taking? Will you need a rugged, weatherproof camera?

Unitl you get clear in your own mind what you want out of your new camera, and communicate it to us, there's no way we can help you.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 11:18 AM   #3

Andy is right, you need to be more specific. You say pocket camera but do you mean in the shirt pocket type or maybe a little larger. Optical zoom will be limited the smaller you go so how much zoom do you find necessary 3x, 6x, 10x, 12x or like the newer bridge type 18 and 20x. How large do you print, 3 by 5's or do you want to go to 12x 18 inch? Any decent camera in SHQ with 6 or 8 mpixels will print up to 11x14 without much resolution loss. Megapixels is a game the sellers play in my opinion. No one needs more than 10 mpixels unless you're really into photography and know what you're doing. Do you use any type of photoshop programs? If not you need a camera that gives great IQ out of the box.Again how much zoom do you want, if you want real closeups 3x won't do and don't pay attention to digital zoom, it will not give you print quality pictures. Generally speaking the more zoom you want the larger physically the camera will be. One of the best ultra compacts out there is the Canon powershot S80 28 to 100 mm a true pocket camera. But again not huge zoom ability.
olyuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 6:55 PM   #4

AndyfromVA wrote:
Quote:
Your question can't be answered based on the information you've provided.

Choosing the right camera depends on the needs of the individual. To some people, 12 megapixels is important, I would be happy with a 10 or 12 Megapixels. to others a very long optical zoom is important. I would be very happy if I could get a 10 opical zoom.

What do you want in your new camera? I am looking for one that I can use for allround camera. How large a camera?A point and short camera.How about image quality?I would like very good image quality.How much do you want to spend? Gave or take $75 around $300.00. What will you be using your camera for?For vacations andfamily get together and also so shorts at flowers and birds.What sorts of photos do you think you'll be taking? Some moveing or action but not many. Will you need a rugged, weatherproof camera? No.

Unitl you get clear in your own mind what you want out of your new camera, and communicate it to us, there's no way we can help you.
Quote:
I hope that this will help in what I am looking for in a camera.
Quote:
Like I have ask you what do you think of the Canon PowerShot SD950IS ; Panasonic TZ4 or the TZ5 and the Fujiflim F30 and the F31? These are my choices. But not sure which one would fit my needs?
Quote:
Hoping that you could help me, like I said I do not know the first thing about cameras any more.:? :?

Quote:
Old Jun 17, 2008, 8:09 PM   #5

Thanks for the information.

The Canon SD950IS is an excellent small point and shoot, but it wouldn't meet your needs as it has only a 3.6 optical zoom and you will have to pay well over $300.

The Panasonic TZ4 and TZ5 seem to be a better fit for you. They have a long zoom (28mm to 280mm), good picture quality and are within your price range. They have less than 10 megapixels but, as Olyuser said, that's not important, as more megapixels are not necessarily a good thing when it comes to picture quality and can actually make the picture worse.

The only real differences between the TZ4 and TZ5 is that the TZ5 has one more megapixel (perhaps a negative), the TZ5 has a higher resolution LCD (though the TZ4 has a nice screen too), and the TZ5 takes HD movies.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 4:28 PM   #6

AndyfromVA wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the information.

The Canon SD950IS is an excellent small point and shoot, but it wouldn't meet your needs as it has only a 3.6 optical zoom and you will have to pay well over $300.

The Panasonic TZ4 and TZ5 seem to be a better fit for you. They have a long zoom (28mm to 280mm), good picture quality and are within your price range. They have less than 10 megapixels but, as Olyuser said, that's not important, as more megapixels are not necessarily a good thing when it comes to picture quality and can actually make the picture worse.

The only real differences between the TZ4 and TZ5 is that the TZ5 has one more megapixel (perhaps a negative), the TZ5 has a higher resolution LCD (though the TZ4 has a nice screen too), and the TZ5 takes HD movies.
Quote:
I would like to thank-you on this.
Quote:
I noticed that you did not say anything about the Fujiflim F30 or the F31? What do you think about these?
Old Jun 18, 2008, 7:39 PM   #7

The Fuji F30 and F31 are awesome cameras but Fuji stopped making them two years ago. Used ones are hard to find and are very expensive. Fuji replaced them with the F40fd (or F45fd), F50fd and F100fd. They are all excellent cameras, especially in low light.