Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 18, 2008, 10:56 AM   #11

TCav wrote:
Quote:
The Pentax K10D might be hard to find, and the Canon XTi is a fine camera.

BTW, here are some indoor available light shots I took recently.While flash lets you do things you can't do with available light, available light lets you do things you can't do with flash.
Let's see some of those shots with more than one person. Let's see some shots where they're laughing (and thus moving). As I mentioned you can get some nice portrait style shots - and I enjoy taking those types of shots. But I also like the thought that slight motion by my subject won't ruin my shot. Or that, if I want I can actually get 2 people, unposed in focus.

Additionally, flash allows you to use a zoom lens - very advantageous for family functions.

Also, flash and shallow dof are NOT mutually exclusive.

Every shot you can think of can be taken WITH flash but there are a whole bunch that can't be taken without it.

Want a portrait style snapshot. Here you go. Even get some catch light - a very desirable feature:

or this:

someone laughing:

So, let's see the availlable light shots where you actually want some additional DOF:

For most people, family shots are more about family interaction than single-subject portrait style shots. It's great to be able to do both. But the ability to shoot at any depth of field you desire in any lighting situation is a huge bonus.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2008, 1:13 PM   #12

You might want to read this. Olympus might not have the shear numbers of lenses that Canon or Nikon do but everything they have is great and works with all their cameras. The E-510 is a steal now and with Optical stabilization and the 2x factor on the lenses you have the 35mm equiv. in 14mm thru 600mm and with the excellentnew EC-20 you can double that. The E-system issmaller and lighter system to carry around.

Olympus was a natural upgrade for me, going from the FZ series cameras.

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...ten-new-c.html

DonR
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 5:44 AM   #13

I think I have a budget of about $500. I could go higher but want to try and be reasonable. I should me able to pick up an Xti kit for this price, but I think I have the opportunity to pick up an XT for about $250 with a possibly bad kit lens(floor model). This will leave me another $250ish to put into lenses. I want the XTi, but it sounds like it makes more sense to put more money into lenses.

Now I just need to refresh myself on what all the F's and mm number mean
turin39789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 7:17 AM   #14

Well, I was in the same boat as you few months ago and I was considering Rebel XTI. I started doing research on the Internet and then I started to consider Nikon D40 and D60. Well, guess what I ended up getting? Sony Alpha A200 for $470 CAN. Actually Nikon D40 was basically the same price but I came on this forum and after getting some good advice here, ended up with Sony.

I think if your budget is around $500, you can get Sony A200 or Nikon D40...

Good luck with your search .
vic4878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 10:58 AM   #15

vic4878 wrote:
Quote:
Well, I was in the same boat as you few months ago and I was considering Rebel XTI. I started doing research on the Internet and then I started to consider Nikon D40 and D60. Well, guess what I ended up getting? Sony Alpha A200 for $470 CAN. Actually Nikon D40 was basically the same price but I came on this forum and after getting some good advice here, ended up with Sony.

I think if your budget is around $500, you can get Sony A200 or Nikon D40...

Good luck with your search .
I could drop more on it if I find the right deal, or I could do $500-$600 now and then talk my way into buying a nice zoom lens right before I head to Argentina in October. I'm just starting to think that I can pick up an XT body for cheap now, get some nicer glass and if I actually take the time to learn to use the camera, I can sell the body and upgrade later
turin39789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 11:02 AM   #16

turin39789 wrote:
Quote:
I'm just starting to think that I can pick up an XT body for cheap now, get some nicer glass and if I actually take the time to learn to use the camera, I can sell the body and upgrade later
Sounds like a plan.

As long as you can handle the lower resolution (8MP vs. 10MP or 12MP) and the slower autofocus, that might be a good way to get started.

And there will be room in your budget for a large aperture lens or an external flash, whichever way you want to go.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote