Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 18, 2008, 3:00 PM   #1

My first digital camera was an S100 and I am currently the owner of a S410. I have taken almost 10,000 pictures with it over the years.

S410 Link - http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/s410.html

Generally I am happy with the camera, but there are times I wish it would do more. So I am looking to upgrade. This would be my ideal camera and I need some guidance.

PHYSICAL SIZE - I would like it to be about the same size as the S410 or smaller. I like to carry it around on vacation or family events and keep it in my pocket. Which relates to the next requirement:

TYPE - Point and Shoot style, sorry my friends have tried to convince me, maybe the next one.

MEGAPIXEL - I typically order 5 x 7 prints, maybe a rare 8 x 10. Still the majority of my pics are on Picassa or iPhoto. Maybe once a in a blue moon I would crop a larger picture into a smaller one. I would guess 7 – 8 megapixels would be all I need. If the camera took larger MP photos, I would just lower the setting to save space and increase speed.

PICTURE QUALITY – I have been happy with the quality of the Canon Camera, so this camera cannot be any worse.

ZOOM - I have only used the Zoom in Scenery shots to remove some eyesore from the background. The 3x Optical Zoom of the S410 usually is fine for this. I never have needed or wanted to zoom in on anything far away.

MOVIES - 640 x 480 – 30fps movies are key. There are times where I want to take small movies of interesting things and I do not have or need a camcorder. (People dancing badly, the pelicans of Mykonos, etc) The 320 x 240 is not bad, but I wish they were bigger at native resolution.

IMAGE STABLIZATION – This is a must since I have ruined a few shots with sudden hand movements

RESPONSE – In most cases the pictures response for the S410 has been good for me, but only when the lighting situation is perfect. I would like to have this camera be the same reaction speed as the S410 or faster.

FAST MOVING OBJECTS – Not sure the official photography term is, but I have tried to take pictures of people moving and I get blurs. (Babies who don't stand still, People who turn suddenly, people who are walking down the aisle of a wedding) I am not taking pictures of people bicycling or anything like that, just normal day to day

EASE OF USE – This has to have a good and simple user interface. I have been in IT for almost 20 years, so a complex UI would not bother me. The wife is smart, but she is gadget fearful so the UI has to clean and easy for her. She only knows the very basics of the S410 menu.

MANUAL CONTROLS – I never have used anything beyond turning off the flash and turning on "up close" mode. It might be nice to have some aperture and ISO controls as my photography skills might grow, but they do not have to be that great.

BATTERY – Rechargeable Battery, I will not use alkalines.

BUILD QUALITY – I know some cameras are moving to plastic. The S410 is built pretty well and I have dropped it a few times. It still works fine and only has a small scratch on the LCD. This new camera has to the have the same build quality. If it has to be plastic, I will consider it begrudgingly.

OPTICAL VIEWFINDER – Call me old fashioned, but I like it.

Price is not a huge issue; I would like to keep the camera unit below $400. I would get a few big and fast memory cards and a carrying case. So if the whole thing was under $500 that would be great.

I am intrigued by the SD950, SD890, SD790, SD870, and SD850. The problem is that they all seem the same to me, so it is really hard to distinguish which one is the best. I think the SD750 and below are too basic for my needs.

I am not "married" to Canon, but I have had two of them and gotten an S410 for my sister and it has worked well for her as well. I know people who have used Sony, Casio, and Panasonic. I am not familiar with their models. I have read some reviews and I am still confused.
dkotenoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2008, 4:46 PM   #2

27 views and no replies? I know it is a long post for a short answer, but I wanted to be thorough. Let me summarize key points. I know most of my requirements listed above are serviced by pretty much all P&S cameras.

IMAGE STABLIZATION – This is a must since I have ruined a few shots with sudden hand movements

RESPONSE – In most cases the pictures response for the S410 has been good for me, but only when the lighting situation is perfect. I would like to have this camera be the same reaction speed as the S410 or faster.

FAST MOVING OBJECTS – Not sure the official photography term is, but I have tried to take pictures of people moving and I get blurs. (Babies who don't stand still, People who turn suddenly, people who are walking down the aisle of a wedding) I am not taking pictures of people bicycling or anything like that, just normal day to day

BATTERY – Rechargeable Battery, I will not use alkalines.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 7:01 PM   #3

Okay let's try this route:

Can someone recommend me one of the better or best Panaonic Lumix, Sony Cybershot, or Canon P&S's??

I will continue to do research on my own.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 7:34 PM   #4

Your requirement of an optical viewfinder limits you to either Canon or Sony. That's not really a problem as there are several excellent small cameras made by those two companies.

For Canon, I think the best all around is the SD950IS, followed by the SD850IS, the SD890IS, the SD770IS and the SD1100IS. For Sony, the best is probably the W-170 or W-300, followed by the W-150, W-130 and W-120.

If you're willing to give up the requirement of the optical viewfinder, the Panasonic FX500, FX35 and FS20 are excellent small cameras (the FX500 comes with a touch screen interface).
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2008, 11:08 PM   #5

AndyfromVA wrote:
Quote:
Your requirement of an optical viewfinder limits you to either Canon or Sony. That's not really a problem as there are several excellent small cameras made by those two companies.

For Canon, I think the best all around is the SD950IS, followed by the SD850IS, the SD890IS, the SD770IS and the SD1100IS. For Sony, the best is probably the W-170 or W-300, followed by the W-150, W-130 and W-120.

If you're willing to give up the requirement of the optical viewfinder, the Panasonic FX500, FX35 and FS20 are excellent small cameras (the FX500 comes with a touch screen interface).
Thanks for the reply, yeah I read some good reviews of the 950, but in other sites some people really criticized the lack of innovation in Canon's camera's lately. Since I am using a 4+ year old Canon camera anything would be huge.

I only use optical viewfinder as a way to use the camera when the battery can no longer power the display. Maybe I no longer need this if the batteries last longer than ever. Yes I do own two batteries and I do plan to buy two with this new camera.

I will look at Panasonic again because I did not realize I can get more than a 640 x 480 video on a smallish camera. I live near a great NYC camera (B&H) so I may go try and buy there.

Thanks for narrowing the field a bit more.