Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 22, 2008, 4:01 AM   #11

The D60 is a fine camera, but it doesn't have one of the fastest autofocus systems. You might want to try it in the store first, along with some other candidates.

How the camera feels to you is as important as anything else. If you can't hold it comfortably, if you can't find the controls and commands when you need them, you're going to miss some shots.

Since you don't really have anything specific in mind (or you haven't described it to us) do all the research you can as to specs, features and reviews, and go to a store that has all or most of the cameras you're looking at, and pick one after having handled them all.

DO NOT ask the sales person anything!

When you ask the salesperson a question, you're telling him or her that you think he or she is smarter than you, and that puts you in a bad situation. You should learn everything you can about the cameras you're considering, before you walk through the door of the camera store.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2008, 2:47 PM   #12

thank you, a fast autofocus, and no shutter lag are important to me. what machine would you advice.

indeed i have no special needs, the only reason i'm willing to buy a dslr is the speed, and low light shooting. (off course the better picture overall). but if speed is slow then the gain over a compact isn't that much (for me)

thanks a lot
fillemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2008, 4:23 PM   #13

Please allow me to be clear. The D60 does have a slower autofocus system than its competitors, but that only comes into play with fast moving subjects (sports/action/wildlife) and maybe low light.For what you say you want to do, the slower autofocus speed in the D60won't make much difference.

But as I said in an earlier post:

Quote:
There's the Canon XT & XTi, ..., the Sony A200, and the Pentax K200D. All are 10MP cameras except the Canon XT (8MP) ...
My original statement included the Nikon D60 (and it's lesser siblings) as well as the low end Olympus E-410 & E420, but they all suffer from slow autofocus, and you may want to steer clear of them.

At this point, I think it would be wise for you to go to a camera store that has all these cameras, and try them out.

And if you find a salesperson and a store that is particularly helpful, buy your camera there! Don't leave with the additional knowledge and experiance you gained from their help, and buy your camera someplace else simply becasue it's a few bucks (or euros) cheaper. Support the establishment(s) that helped you make your decision. Otherwise, they may not be around for the next person that needs help.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 4:40 PM   #14

thank you so much tcav,

i wil certainly buy it in a decent shop with some "pedigree".

okee, i'll certainly wanna go to check things out in the shop, but i don't suppose there will be sportsman, or animals running wildly :-)

if i have to stear clear from those, what kind of type are you thinking of. I know i keep asking this question, but i just wanna know how much money it is gonna cost to get better, if it is a lot of money, i will let go this fast autofocus on fast objects.

thanks so much
Old Jun 22, 2008, 5:10 PM   #15

This is the first time you've mentioned wanting to shoot sports/wildlife. If that's the case, then you should probably drop the XT and the Pentax as well. That narrows it down to the Canon XTi and the Sony A200.

The Canon has a slightly better autofocus system, and a better selection of lenses and accessories, from Canon as well as third parties.

The Sony has sensor shift image stabilization, but it's primarybenefit is with long lenses that you don't seem to be interensted in.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 5:29 PM   #16

well wildlife and sports will not be my first interest, but if the xti or a200 do that well, well i might get one of those, but i understand that there are other trades off with these models,

so acutally i don't need to upper my budget, i just need to choose carefully.
i'll read all the reviews i can get.

thanks
Old Jun 22, 2008, 10:26 PM   #17

Good luck, and come back and post some photos.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 8:23 AM   #18

hello tcav, i certainly will,

but today, a friend told me that is buying a dslr, although he had bougt an compact canon some 6 months ago, he will let me shoot with it untill i get the money for a decent dslr. so maybe i'l bee shooting the next 6 months with the a720IS, which will be nice, to get into it.

he uses this firmware extension, so that raw is an option and a lot more.

do you know a good book for this camera, but also for composition of a photo, and some photo editing tool ?

i'm quite new to this, so i wanna get the best out of it.
thanx a lot
Old Jun 24, 2008, 12:02 PM   #19

The books I learned with are long gone. I suggest you post another topic asking that same question.

And don't overlook the camera's user manual. It is filled with tips on not only how to use your camera, but also how to use it to take good photos.

See http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/09000099...0IS_CUG_EN.pdf

And I have heard of the firmware hack you mentioned, but wouldn't know how to use it. And as I understand it, the hack has different features and capabilities for each camera, so the documentation might be sketchy. I think you should stick to the Canon Users' Guide.