Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 20, 2008, 3:03 PM   #1

hello people, my old canon powershot a70, died a half year ago, i'm wanna get more into photoshooting. i just hold an D70 of a friend, quite impressive (at least that's what i think).

so i'm looking for a DSLR, (i will not shoot 10000 clicks a year, but at least a 1000).

i like to shoot a lot of things, people, landscapes.. i do like wideangle (more then super zoom).

could someone advice me what to buy, and what to pay attention to.

i need a dslr and lens (18-70mm would be fantastic)
my budget is 350 euro (or 500 dollar).

thanx people
fillemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2008, 3:27 PM   #2
Administrator

fillemon wrote:
Quote:
i need a dslr and lens (18-70mm would be fantastic)
my budget is 350 euro (or 500 dollar).
Euro, huh? Jessops sells the Sony Alpha 200 brand new in a kit with an 18-70mm lens for £299.99 (which works out to around 379.65 Euro right now from what I can see from currency conversion calculators).

Sony A200 with 18-70mm Autofocus Lens for £299.99 at jessops.com

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 3:28 PM   #3

The Sony A200 meets your criteria exactly, and it has sensor shift image stabilization in the camera body.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 3:52 PM   #4

i never payed attention to sony,
i was watching canon or nikon in the dslr.

an image stabilisator is handy, but maybe i need to shoot with a tripod, cause winning an extra stop could be not enough, and i do like contrast in the black.

i'll look into the sony,

i know that buying a second hand dslr can be tricky, cause the newer ones have the latest technology.

the d70 went 300 euro for 18-70 lens. so it is close to the sony, but i suppose everyone here would pick the sony ?

thank you very much
Old Jun 20, 2008, 3:58 PM   #5
Administrator

Probably not everyone. ;-)

The D70 uses a Sony 6 Megapixel CCD sensor (as do the Nikon D40, D50 and D100). The Nikon D40x, D60, D80 and D200 use a Sony 10 Megapixel CCD Sensor (as do the Sony A200, A300, Pentax K10D, and Pentax K200D).

The newer Sony A700 (the camera I shoot with right now) uses a Sony 12 Megapixel CMOS Sensor (as does the Nikon D300).

These are all good cameras. The Sony models can use any Minolta Autofocus lens ever made (and they're all stabilized. thanks to the camera body based stabilization system). Of course, I'm probably a bit biased, since I currently shoot with a Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D (and Sony acquired Konica Minolta's camera related assets), as well as a Sony Alpha 700. ;-)

Note that the Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 lens is a better lens compared to the Sony 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6. But, I think you'd be better off buying the Sony and upgrading lenses if you have a need to do so later than the road.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 6:24 PM   #6

thanks, these are interesting remarks.

i have looked into the a200, indeed a nice camera.
but i don't know if i would be it, if i could get a d50 for less then the half.
the extra pixels i do not think i really need them.

excuse me for the question, but what if the a200 is to expensive. what would then be a good pick ?

thank so much
Old Jun 20, 2008, 9:04 PM   #7

There are a number of dSLRs in your price range, and the consensus here seems to be that a used dSLR isn't a good idea unless you get some kind of warranty with it.

You haven't really given us much to go on as to what type(s) of photography you want to do, and that would give us some idea of which cameras would work well for you and which wouldn't. If all you really want to do is people and landscapes, then anything should do well. There's the Canon XT & XTi, the Olympus E-410 & E-420, the Nikon D40, D40X and maybe the D60, the Sony A200, and the Pentax K200D. All are 10MP cameras except the Canon XT (8MP) and Nikon D40 (6MP).

A significant criterion should be how the camera feels to you. If you can't find the controls and commands when you need them, you'll miss some 'once in a lifetime' shots.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 9:09 AM   #8

thanks for the information.

i was thinking about buying a dslr or not, still i have been looking at second hand things, and they all go quite pricey, so a new might be a better option,

if i leave the dslr area, i don't think i will be able to take a lot of shots i want, i'm not used to take pictures very hast full manual. (it takes me forever). and with a compact camera it even takes me longer; bit in a difficult position; want a decent basic dslr, but don't wanna spent the monet, mmmhhh, i should reconsider my budget.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 10:51 AM   #9

Within your budget, you should be able to find a good entry level dSLR with a kit lens that will do what you want. Only if you want to do something special would your budget be too tight.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 8:56 PM   #10

thanks for hthe replies,
i checked al the second hand sites last night, and i saw that the 'older' camera's still costed a lot.

i'm gonna get some extra money and buy a decent starter dslr. no good buying for 300-350 an old, without dust removal and a lens that starts from 28-XXX, i want a lens that start from 18, so that at 28-35 there is no optical problem with it.
also, a new one has waranty, no cliks on the counter, less noise......

i think of getting an d60 with a 18-55mm, there is a rebate at jessop.

what convinces me is the stunning speed of picking up a dslr and shoot, while with a compact, you can wait a few seconds. I do like to shoot people, and speed is everything for me. if i photographe little childeren and have to wait 3 seconds, i might as well don't do anything at all.

thank you people for your helpfull and kind replies