Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 20, 2008, 6:19 PM   #1

I kind of fell into photography by accident... I love taking pictures and for some reason they usually turn out really good, and so people started asking me to do senior pictures, weddings, etc. and have been really happy so I've kind of made a side business out of it. The thing is that I have NO clue what I'm doing most of the time. When I get a good picture I dont always know why it turned out good and if it's bad I don't know why it didn't turn out good. I do know some things and have a very basic knowledge but I don't learn from "reading how-to" books but rather learning from example. That being said, I've had an xti for a year now, though this was not my first DSLR. I started with a nikon d40 and loved it. I upgraded to the canon xti (for the higher MP) and got a better lens, grip, and the best external flash, etc. But I've never liked this camera like I liked the Nikon so I'm thinking it's time to make a change before I get any more invested. But I'm so confused. I've spent days reading review after review and opinion after opinion and I feel like I need someone to just tell me what to do. I spent a few hours in Best Buy today handling cameras and I really really liked the way the Nikon D80 felt but then I got home and started reading that it's not got the latest features like the D60, but I liked the D80 more than the D60 as far as feel goes. I also played around with the XSi and it seemed okay - I liked it more than the XTi I've been working with based on first impressions and I know I could keep most of my current equipment for the XSi but I don't know that I liked it as much as the D80. I also played around with the Sonly Alpha cameras because I was actually leaning towards one of them until I held it and took some sampe shots in the store. It seemed slow compared to the Nikon and Canon's and it felt cheap to me. I don't know why. Any help - ALL help is sooo appreciated. Please keep in mind I'm not rich and this is a side job. My husband's a youth pastor so I don't have a huge budget here and will need to sell what I have to help cover most of the cost. Thanks.
crosstraxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2008, 6:36 PM   #2

'Feel' is very important. Don't discount 'Feel'.

If the D80 feels best, then that's what I think you should go by. But the D80 is getting long in the tooth, and the D200 that the D80 mimics has been superceeded by the D300. The D300 may be out of your price range, andthere may be something coming from Nikon in the near future that will superceed the D80, so I'd sit tight for a while if I were you.

And, the next time you're in a camera store, you might take a look at the Pentax dSLRs which are also very good. Also, you might like the higher end Canons, which would mean you could keepall the equipment you already have.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 7:24 PM   #3

Thank you - What higher end Canon's would you recommend me looking into?
crosstraxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 9:51 PM   #4

What you do doesn't really tax the camera you've got, so you don't really need much more. I think the most important think is how it feels to you. A number of people complain about the feel of the XTi, so you're not alone.

You might look at the 40D to see how you like it. It's probably more camera than you need, but that's not usually a bad thing. And you might like how it feels. Plus, it comes with a $200 rebate right now.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote