Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 21, 2008, 12:58 AM   #1

Hello, new to the site here and would like to start off by saying thank you for the great site with tons of info and experience... Next I would like to say darn you for making my simple choice even harder...LOL. Anyways I am a beginner looking at buying aDSLR (from a P&S). My wife is getting mad at trying to use her little camera to getshots of our 7yr old at his soccer game which helps me sell her on the new DSLR that I have wanted for a while ;-). I have an original SLR EOS Rebel that I purchased back in like 1990/1991. I love the camera and still use at times but it seems this is now a digital age... Now I have read so much on this site that it has only made me more confused...I know that no one can tell me 100% what to get and it will come down to what I feel. I am lookingfor what might suit me best for what I want out of a camera. Anyways here goes.I will use the cameramostly for my son's outdoor sports (soccer/baseball), then general outdoor photosand then of course for those special moments indoors (P&S just don't do it unless your close to subject). I am looking at either the EOS 400D, 450D or the 40D (Sony A200 close 4th choice). I want a camera that will last forquite a while as you can tell by how long I had my SLR. Now is the MP of the 450Dover the others a big influence? Is the speed of the 40D a big influence over the others? Oris the lower cost of the 400D a big influence? And input on the Sony (I'm used to Canon)? AlsoI will be lookingforoneor two lensesthat will cover a decent range including one for zoom (for the sports) and a lensfor indoors with trying to keep thecost as low as possible without wasting money on pure junk... Thanksfor taking the time to read this and the possible help...
GatorKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2008, 7:44 AM   #2

Since I presume you already have some lenses and accessories for your film SLR, that you will want to continue to use on a future dSLR, Canon is a logical choice.

A big part of how a new camera will work for you is how it feels to you. I think the 40D will feel more like the SLR you're used to than the other choices, and that might be important considering how long you've been using it. Anything else may take a while for you to get accustomed to.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2008, 7:51 AM   #3

The fact you already have Canon lenses should point you in that direction for a dSLR.
The 40D is your best bet for sports shooting at the least. Starting with another system if that is your choice then I would go with the D300 for Nikon.

Mahalo,

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2008, 1:55 PM   #4

i agree that you could stick to canon since you already have lenses. however, if the lenses are older, they might not be as responsive as newer lenses. also, if image stabilization is important to you, the new canon lenses with stabilization are much more expensive than the non-stabilized versions.

i bought the sony a300 because the stabilization is in the body, not lens. body stabilized cameras include sony, pentax and olympus, but not nikon or canon. i also happened upon a tremendous deal where i got the camera with kit lens (18-55mm) and zoom lens (55-200mm) for $600. i have seen this combination advertised for $799 . . . not a bad price for a first dslr with 2 lenses. i subsequently bought a 28-300mm lens because it works better for what i photograph (wildlife, mostly).

also, newer sony and olympus dslrs have articulating live-view lcds, which none of the other brands have yet. the sony has a switch that allows you to quickly change from viewfinder to lcd which is incredibly convenient. i like the articulating lcd for the ability to take lower level pics, like birds on the ground. i much prefer pics from their level than from above, which is what you get using a viewfinder . . . unless you are a contortionist.

hope this helps. i have bought a couple of digicams without knowing what i really wanted and wound up being disappointed. use this and other digital camera websites to find the features you cannot live without. a couple of other websites have feature search buying guides that are VERY helpful.

good luck.

ellen fl
ellenfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2008, 2:56 AM   #5

Thank you all for the input. I for some reason seem to be partial to the Canon brand, probably because I own an SLR rebel. As for the lenses that I have... I only have the kit lens and a 300mm zoom Vivitar lens that I bought back in 95 on Burbon street.. It has done alright but after reading more on this site it probably is not that great of a lens at all... It seems that I am leaning towards the 40D with the cost being the only thing that is holding me back at the moment.... I'm currently deployed overseas and here they only have the 40D with the 28-135 kit lens for$1200. Down side is that because we are overseas we do not qualify for theCanon discount ($200) even though it is a US store! Got to save a few more bucks!

Hey ellenfl, I see that you are from Juno. I am originally from Stuart, ran the Juno Domino's Pizza on US1 for a while before I joined the Military.... Small world huh.
GatorKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2008, 10:44 AM   #6

if your user name is indicative, even smaller world perhaps, gatorkev . . . i am a U of F grad, aka a 'gator'.

i hope your overseas deployment is out of harm's way and that you are home safe and sound soon. good luck with your camera search.

if you get back to the neighborhood, give a holler. we have some nice wildlife areas around here for picture taking. you can find me most often in the wildlife pic forum.

here's one of the denizens of the pond in juno . . . . (taken with my sony a300 with the 28-300mm lens)

Attached Images

ellenfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2008, 3:35 PM   #7

The 40D with the 28-135 kit lens sounds like a good deal for you. And while the Vivitar may not be a great lens, I think it may come in handy ocassionally.

Can you purchase it and have it sent to a stateside address? You should then be able to qualify for the rebate.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote