Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 21, 2008, 3:52 PM   #1

I feel that thiis camera can fulfill my expectations but........I read some bad comments about it. I already asked in this forum, but I fail to see answers, so I ask again

It has 2 immage stabilizers. can someon explain how it works and how effective they are

People say that usage ofXD cards is notso good . why? I had a very good experience with XD card on my c-770 and my wife's 595.

some critics say that the 570uz has a too small1/2.33" sensor. what does it meanand hpw does it effectfunctioning and picturequality ?

thanks. shmueli
shmueli2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2008, 9:21 AM   #2

Your answers lie in another forum. Join the olympus forum, not the SLR but just the olympus talk forum. Many people in there have the 570 and have produced many great shots for you to look at. The sensor size is much smaller on the 570 than the dslrs which is what you are hearing. This relates to more noise at higher ISO's and the IQ is not as good as a dslr. The pros are you have a camera that can go from around 27mm to 520mm and with a tcon over 800mm. A decent lense alone on a dslr will cost you more than your entire camera setup for that kind of range. Yes you give up some things but you need to decide if the trade off is worth it. Ask the users on the Oly forum. I have the predecessor to the 570, the 560. After a learning curve I am very happy with it. It's a little soft at full zoom but you have in camera settings to help with that. Here is a shot from my 560.
Eric
Attached Images

eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2008, 12:31 PM   #3

Dear Eric. thanks for the comments and answers to my letter.

Your experience with this camera, though only a few months, is indeed encouraging. Thanks again shmueli
Old Jun 22, 2008, 12:57 PM   #4

Dear Eric

I just sent a reply to your comment, but forgot to explaintwo important things.

I own an old Oly c-770, and a new Canon power shot S-5 IS, whichI am not very pleased with. I feel like the tele shots with the Oly, are sharper than those of the canon, that has an immage stabilizer. (The camera was checked in the company's lab and found ok). This is one of the reasons thati am asking about the 570. It has a double stabilizer and I do hope it does a good job (I'm 76 and my hands though still okay, are not as steady as a young man's).

With such a long zoom, it's stabilizer should work better than that of the canon. can you, or someone else comment on this please

As to the more noise, appearing in the 570,in the higher ASA, can you please tell what ASA will produce more noise than acceptable. 400? 600? or higher?

Thanks again shmueli
Old Jun 22, 2008, 5:44 PM   #5

You need to ask a technical person about the dual stablizing system and there is if I remember right an explanation of it in the Oly forum. I wouldn't give it justice to try to explain it to you. I'm surprised with your lack of enthusiasm on the canon S5, it has a good reputation for being one of the better zoom cameras in the 12x range. I have the 765C olympus and like the 770 it takes great shots. The downside for me was the 4 megapixels which can only be cropped so much without loss of resolution and 10x optical. I like to shoot wildlife but walking/shooting long distances in the fields and woods a dslr with multiple lenses and the weight was not acceptable, so I went with the 560. The SP series is not for the I want to aim and shoot a good photo crowd, you have to learn how to use manual controls so there is a learning curve but well worth it if you want in the end to have more detail and the ability to enlarge or crop without loss of resolution. I think the C series cameras were about the best Oly ever put out, that said my understanding is the 570 from a IQ standpoint is headed back in the right direction. The 550 had focus issues and soft, the 560 much better but still a little soft and the 570 is better IQ with an addition of a hotshoe, more mgpixs, more zoom, and from what I read most are very happy with it. Of the superzooms 18x or 20 the 570 in my opinion is the one to get. That said no amount of image stablization will completely stop motion at 20x optical, you will need a tripod or always shoot on sunny days with fast shutter speed.
Eric
Old Jun 22, 2008, 5:48 PM   #6

As to the ISO, these bridge type cameras have small sensors compared to the dslrs and anything over 200 ISO normally produces noise. There are programs that help eliminate some of it but if you want to be able to shoot 800 ISO and print an acceptable ( to most people ) shot you need to look at dslrs. There are some smaller ones out there but with a zoom lense they are all heavy and bulky.