Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 28, 2008, 7:07 AM   #41

check out www.resellerratings.com

Stick with reputable places like bhphotovideo.com or buydig.com or adorama.com

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2008, 6:07 PM   #42

OK-

After much (too much) research, heres my end result.

Canon 40d with 28-135mm IS lens and 70-300mm IS lens, extra batteryfor $1699.00

Item by item, the best I could find was:

camera housing $875

28-135 mm IS $414

70-300mm IS $548

extra battery $50 (guess)

total$1887

The original package I was looking at from Costco was 1149.00 for the 40d and a 18-55 (no IS) lens. No 70-300mm or extra batt either.

I also bought a monopod for $12.00 (not included in 1699 price) and saw a sling style bag at samsclub for $30 bucks I'll check out

The only price I've paid is we had 3 baseball games over the past 2 days and 1 tomorrow.

Hopefully I will have all of the equipment in time for the 4th of July Tourny.

The only thing I am missing (for now) is a flash. Heard the Canon 430 is a good one so I will check ino it. (again, I welcome any input on flashes from all of you)

I will start watching prices for a long lens that performs @ 2.8 as well

Gees....I've gotten so used to talking to you guys I won't know what to do now.

JimC, Tcav, and JohnG thanks for all of your wisdom (and patience) on my journey into photography.

Once I get my equipment I'll report in.

robertpilote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2008, 8:33 PM   #43

enjoy your new toys. And don't be afraid to stop over to the sports forum. There are a number of us that shoot baseball and we'll be glad to help you out. And when it comes time for football there are a number of us that shoot that too.

Enjoy!
Old Jun 28, 2008, 8:46 PM   #44

Nice. Thanks again John. Talk to you after the 4th.

In the mean time, if anything else comes to mind I'll continue to check the site.

Old Jun 28, 2008, 9:52 PM   #45

One other thing I forgot to ask about that has come to mind in scrolling through th sports section of this web site.

Do Canon cameras come with software to edit the pictures or will I need to purchase another program to "dress up" my photos?

Thanks

Old Jun 29, 2008, 6:50 AM   #46

Canon does provide a photo editting program with it's cameras. There are also many good, inexpensive programs (Adobe Photoshop Elements, Corel Paintshop Pro, etc. which are available as free trial downloads) as well as some good, free programs (IrfanView, etc.) that you might consider.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2008, 7:24 AM   #47

Robert,

The Canon software will get you started. I often recommend photoshop elements - not because it's necessarily better but because so many people use it and there are so many books on the market on how to use it. So it's easy to get help on how to better use the product.

There are a series of books by Scott Kelby on using the Photoshop suite of products that I've found VERY useful. They approach it from a 'how to do this' standpoint. E.G. "How to correct for underexposure", "how to remove color cast", "how to sharpen" etc. etc.

The free products are very good, you just need to do more digging to figure out the interface since there isn't as much documentation on how to use them.

But start with the software that comes with the product - it's free after all. And you have to figure out for yourself how much editing you want to do. Some people edit every photo. Others don't do much besides cropping.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 1:14 PM   #48

MY CANON ARRIVED YESTERDAY, JUST IN TIME FOR A BASEBALL TOURNY. I HAVE A LOT TO LEARN ABOUT NOT ONLY THE CAMERA FEATURES BUT PHOTOGRAPHY AS WELL. I PLAN ON TAKING LOTS OF PHOTOS THIS WEEKEND AND WILL POST SOME AFTER THE WEEKEND FOR YOUR C&C.

ANY GOOD READS ON PHOTOGRAPHY 101 YOU COULD POINT ME TOWARDS?

Old Jul 3, 2008, 1:45 PM   #49

robertpilote wrote:
Quote:
MY CANON ARRIVED YESTERDAY, JUST IN TIME FOR A BASEBALL TOURNY. I HAVE A LOT TO LEARN ABOUT NOT ONLY THE CAMERA FEATURES BUT PHOTOGRAPHY AS WELL. I PLAN ON TAKING LOTS OF PHOTOS THIS WEEKEND AND WILL POST SOME AFTER THE WEEKEND FOR YOUR C&C.
Congradulations! I'm looking forward to seeing them.

robertpilote wrote:
Quote:
ANY GOOD READS ON PHOTOGRAPHY 101 YOU COULD POINT ME TOWARDS?
THE MANUAL!!!

In addition to instructions on how your camera works, there's a lot of information on how to use it for good results.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2008, 5:35 PM   #50

I am amale, so I will only read the instructions as a last alternative......

Just kidding, I've been reading some, but was hoping for a supplement to the manual.