Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 25, 2008, 1:07 PM   #1

Looking to buy my first camera, mostly because I'm interested in printing custom 8x10s of players at baseball games. I don't really want to spend much over $200, and am wondering if such a purchase would be worth it. I am eyeing the Canon powershot SD850 IS, would this be suitable to my needs?

Also, is there any risk in buying a new camera on ebay? They seem to offer the best prices (even with shipping).

Thanks.
CJ
roadvirusss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2008, 2:43 PM   #2

It sounds like you're looking to start a business. If so, I'd invest in a DSLR and a long zoom lens, as point and shoot cameras won't give you the picture quality you want, especially if the photo is taken in low light. The combination will cost at least $600-$700.

I don't know about buying cameras on ebay - I've never done it.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 5:25 PM   #3

No, the 8x10s are for personal use... I enjoy getting them signed by players, and don't plan on selling them. I will take a look at that camera, though it's probably out of my price range. Anyone have any feedback on the SD850 IS?
Old Jun 25, 2008, 5:40 PM   #4
Administrator

AndyfromVA wrote:
Quote:
It sounds like you're looking to start a business. If so, I'd invest in a DSLR and a long zoom lens, as point and shoot cameras won't give you the picture quality you want, especially if the photo is taken in low light. The combination will cost at least $600-$700.
That depends on the quality you need, and the conditions you plan on shooting in. For night games under the lights, plan on more than $600 or $700 for the lens alone (not even counting the cost of the camera body). Some sports shooters are going to spend closer to $3000 on just a lens for that purpose (for example, a Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 sells for around $2600 right now from online vendors, but you can find a budget priced Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 for around $800 instead if you can get close enough to use it).

I'd forget about usable results from a non-dSLR model for night games under the lights (since you'd have too much blur from subject movement and/or noise from higher ISO speeds).

For day games, you'll have more options. I'd let members know what conditions you'll plan on using a camera in for better responses.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 6:12 PM   #5

roadvirusss wrote:
Quote:
No, the 8x10s are for personal use... I enjoy getting them signed by players, and don't plan on selling them. I will take a look at that camera, though it's probably out of my price range. Anyone have any feedback on the SD850 IS?
As Jim C. said, no point and shoot camera will do an adequate job if you're trying to shoot a night game. If you're shooting in good light, a point and shoot with a long zoom lens would probably give you OK results. The Canon SD850IS would do well only if you're 20 or 30 feet from the action. Otherwise a camera with at a long optical zoom would be necessary. For $200 you might be able to pick up a Fuji S700 or Kodak Z712IS that may do what you want.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 7:18 PM   #6

Interesting, thanks for the advice. Maybe I was looking more at the kinds of trendy, feature-heavy cameras. I liked what I saw of the Kodak EasyShare Z712 IS, and it looks like you can grab it for $190 on amazon and cheaper on ebay. My only question is, is an ultra-zoom camera like this still function as a point and shoot camera? As I anticipate I will never be more than a casual photographer, will this be useful for photos of friends, etc.? You can see that I'm a true noob, but I appreciate all the help from you guys.

Old Jun 26, 2008, 10:43 AM   #7

The Z712 will function well as a P&S camera at daylight events and non-pro 8x10s are well within reach. It has excellent click to capture times for a P&S and a usable burst mode. Other super/ultra zoom cameras worth considering would be the Canon S5 and the Panasonic FZ18 although those will significantly more expensive. I spent last Sat. shooting an airshow with my Z612, the 712s predecessor

The Z712 may well have the best low light/high ISO performance of any 1/2.5 sensor super-zoom but I am in agreement with the other posters, no P&S will really be adequate at night under lights.

You might want to re-phase your question and ask it in the Kodak forum for the Z712, Canon forum for the S5 and the Pany forum the FZ18.

Just a personal opinion but I'd rather buy a refurb. from Kodak's site ($170) than anything from Ebay. My Z612 is a Kodak refurb and they come with a 30 day no questions asked return policy and carry the same warranty as new.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2008, 5:32 PM   #8

Thanks for all your help guys, I just bought the z712 for $130 shipped on the bay, refurbished, but with the 1 year warranty, and also including a few extras (2gb sd, carrying case, etc). I think if I enjoy the hobby I may invest in a digital slr somewhere down the line.

CJ
Old Jun 26, 2008, 6:00 PM   #9

I hope you enjoy your Z712 as much as I've enjoyed my Z612. Hope to see you in Steve's Kodak forum. Member Alan T can probably answer specific Z712 questions about as well as anyone around.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote