Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 4, 2008, 3:07 PM   #21

Dear Eric:

Happy 4th to you! While you are online, would you look at my reply to Whiskey today and give me your comments. Surely would appreciate it.

Malcolm
rmbrownjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2008, 4:38 PM   #22

i only have sp-550 and only had the chance to play around with sp-570 in the store for about 20 minutes just for comparison to my sp550. controls are pretty much identical with very few menu options placed differently. here i'll try to give you a little idea about MF on olympus SP series with some pics.

on your sp570 (unlike sp550 and 560) you will find a little switch which activates the MF function on your camera (explain on page 24. of users manual)

just an image here to give you an idea where its located, rest i'll use my own pictures i took for you of my sp550.

now this button normaly doesnt seem to effect much at all once you set it to manual focus, ring still seems to operate for zooming functions etc. please keep reading.

once you set your camera to M mode using the dial on top.

and this is what your screen will be looking like (more or less similar on sp570 as well) i am using histogram on the screen (which i really love) which tells you where on the pic is over exposed (in red) and blue where its under exposed. anyways...

for sp550/60 users you need to go into camera menu.

then you need to chose MF from the menu (sp570 users can skip all this which is great IMO) as you can see once you chose MF some options will get grayed out/disabled automaticaly.

now you will see what sp570 users can see by the flick of a switch. on your screen and this is where things gets really tricky. SP570 users will see the MF level horizontaly up on the screen and sp550/560 users will see it verticaly as seen on the picture.

now the tricky part of this thing is, if you dont see the above image or if you want to change your aperture/shutter speed you need to keep the "OK" button for 3-4 seconds where the camera will switch between manual focus and aperture/shutter settings. stupid enough most times you get here you still think u cant change your MF settings, or your ring still only works for zooming unless you hold down your button. for SP570 users they can use < or > on the round selection keys to manualy adjust the focus. for 550/560 users u can go up and down.

now after holding your OK button for a few seconds again ur back in the shutter/aperture mode up and down buttons will change your aperture/shutter settings, making you think u can't adjust focus. but again keep the OK button held for 3-4 seconds back ur focusing mode. where this time u'll be thinking u cant change your aperture/shutter settings. stupid of olympus to do it this way but i can't think of another way without more buttons etc.

well there you go a couple of shots with MF. the red MF icon will appear on the screen to make sure ur aware MF mode is on, I am not sure if its red because its out of focus or not but it will be there.

and here the focus is on the trees behind the transformer thingie.

whisky_n_whisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2008, 4:46 PM   #23

btw sorry about quality of the images up there. camera's shots are taken with fuji finepix s3000 and 2 sample pics with sp550 behind a window
Old Jul 4, 2008, 5:47 PM   #24

oh btw .. sorry again spaming like this just a couple of more things i'd like to say...

the answer to the main question is:

personaly everything is up to your taste when it comes to chosing those 2 very capable cameras. i would NOT go with olympus sp570 as its price is almost same with some dslr's like olympus E-510 or sony alpha 200 unless you have a special need for zooming etc. and for the price i definitely (about 100 bucks more over s5is) wouldnt make it my first pick.

for me price/performance is a huge determinant andheres5is has overall better iso performance (again non of the non-dslr cameras have great iso performance).

but for its price (which is right as low as $199 on radioshack) sp-550 is a complete winner. Again i am not talking about image quality or technical comparison but what it can do for the PRICE TAG it comes with.

ifit was both same price for SP-570 and S5IS, thenyes i would go with olympus but when there is this price gap between those 2 i would go with S5IS. (s5is has brilliant image sharpness and color saturation without the need of post processing and from what i've seen on reviews it has better shot to shot time which makes it a very attractive camera)
Old Jul 4, 2008, 11:13 PM   #25

July 4

Dear Whiskey:

Thanks a million for taking all this time to show me step by step. I was really stupid not to find that auto-manual switch on the lens cowling! Everything worked exactly as you described with my 570. Thanks very much. This is really a nice feature, the manual focus with the magnified portion to get it exactly right. If you turn on the macro 2, you get a focusing range from 0.4 inched to 3 inches!. Then if you turn this off, you get 1 ft to infinity. So they thought of everything, but did not describe it well. This is the value of these forums.:G

Hope you had time to enjoy the 4th over and above the really long time you spent to assist me. I appreciate it.

Visit: www.novelmusic.com

Malcolm
rmbrownjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2008, 1:57 PM   #26

no problem at all, its all about helping eachother on forums i hope more ppl will benefit from the post and make most out of these really nice cameras.