Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 28, 2008, 7:10 AM   #1

i had a Canon S5 IS... unfortunate it was stolen recently and now im contemplating between getting the same or the Olympus SP 570 UZ ... i would really appreciate it if all you member would kindly give some thoughts on this and advise me as to which one i should go for.

thanking u
phreaker18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2008, 6:09 AM   #2

Two different cameras. 12x vs 20x They are both good cameras but the olympus will require a learning curve to get the quality shots it's capable of. It has a lot of functions and is more aligned with a dslr control wise. The canon is also a good camera but if it's zoom and more abilities you want go with the oly.
Eric
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2008, 3:27 PM   #3

On the other hand the S5 will generally focus faster and have a quicker shot to shot time which will make it feel more responsive. See:

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.p...=3320&ph=1
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2008, 4:46 PM   #4

The Sony H50 is a new ultrazoom and the pictures I've seen look outstanding.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2008, 9:00 PM   #5

Pardon me, but I disagree with Andy-

The Sony H-50 is a good, but not great camera, please just read the reviews. www.imaging resource.com has a very realistic review of the Sony H-50.

I sincerely believe, that the Canon S-5 is currently a bargain for all that it can do. At least for me, the Olympus SP-570 represents a good camera with too many compromises.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2008, 3:51 PM   #6

I agree with Sarah, the S5 is a great little camera. Again it's what do you want and need. If you want more zoom in my opinion the two best are the Pany fz 18 and the Oly sp 570. I don't see the comprimise Sarah speaks of but it's an opinion thing with users as to what they feel works well for them. I do think you have to be willing to take the time and learn more than auto point and shoot with the 570, it requires time and practice but the results speak for themselves. It and the fz 18 have taken some pretty impressive shots. That said it's not always the camera, I've seen some pretty crappy shots taken with expensive dslrs and some great shots taken with inexpensive point and shoots. Behind a decent camera needs to be a decent photographer or you may as well buy a throw away.
Eric
Old Jul 3, 2008, 4:07 PM   #7

One thing I forgot to mention, I have the sp 560 which I took these photos with. Trust me when I first purchased it my photos were out of focus, very soft, quite often blurred, and a few other things. It took me a few weeks to understand how to use it and what worked and what didn't. Is it a perfect camera, not by a longshot but it will give good shots. The pany and the 570 both give crisper shots than this one will but I worked through the problems and now I'm happy with it.
Attached Images

Old Jul 3, 2008, 4:16 PM   #8

The second shot
Attached Images

Old Jul 3, 2008, 5:11 PM   #9

Those are great shots, eharrin-

Now please tell me the "tricks of the trade" you use on the Oly SP-560, as I have one waiting at home for me when get back at the end of the month?

I think I should probably revise my comments, as they were based on my hands on experience with the Oly SP-550, which is the lesser of the SP 550,560, and 570 cameras.

Thanks for posting those very impressive photos.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2008, 5:54 PM   #10

i think sp570 is an incredible camera but alittle over priced for what it can do. for the price of an sp570 u can almost get a sony alpha 200 (which i am about to get in a week) on the other hand i own a sp-550 right and to be totally honest it is a very difficult choice u have there.

sp570 has incredible zoom and almost all the functions that a dslr will offer you, almost. but from what i've seen from so many reviews and more then that sample shots. s5is has a slightly better image sharpness by default and slightly better iso performance.

now again i am using sp-550 and its horrible when you talk about iso performance. even tho i don't like to admit (and most reviews will want not to bring it up) it has horrible iso performance right at iso200 and iso400 of olympus is almost not usable, iso800 is absolute emergancy, and 1600 and up to 5000 on sp550 is just there for marketing ( i don't want to think about iso6400 of sp-570uz)

1 more addition, well i am being honest and truth sometimes hurts, but olympus has the worst color red on a camera i've ever seen and i dont think its about the white balance of the camera as i tried almost everything possible to fix this from color saturation to custom WB. i got my sister an olympus fe-170 or something like that before and i had to switch it with a polaroid i733 long time ago, and with SP series this doesnt change at all.

anyway enough bashing about this camera. i'll also put some sample pictures with my sp550uz so u can see what u can also do with this camera. over all sp series are great (sp550-560-570) with its own drawbacks.

back to your question. which one i would get? probably sp570. for the reasons i'll explain in my next reply/post.
whisky_n_whisky is offline   Reply With Quote