Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Which one?
Canon SX100 IS 1 50.00%
Sony DSC-H3 1 50.00%
Another Camera, Say in the forum 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 29, 2008, 5:05 AM   #1

Ok, i wanted a small camera, but a zoomy one so the obvious choise was one of these super zoom thingys!

I checked google for the smallest one and it came up with the sony then i checked amazon and it came up with the Canon.

[align=left]CANON SONY[/align]

[align=left]Cheaper+1 Expensive -1[/align]

[align=left]AA Batteries +1 Battery Pack -1[/align]

[align=left]11 Settings!! +1 Not as many -1[/align]

[align=left]SD Cards +1 Memory Stick -1[/align]

[align=left]Easy to use +1 Harder to use -1[/align]

[align=left]Poor Build Quality -1 Good Build Quality +1[/align]

[align=left]PoorImage shake reduction+Face detection-1Better ISR and FD +1[/align]

[align=left]Larger -1 Smaller +1[/align]

[align=left]Poor Looks -1 Good Looks +1[/align]

[align=left]ShorterBattery Life -1 Longer Battery Life +1[/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=center]=0![/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=left]My heart says Sony but my head says Canon! I need the camera to take decent nature (Wildlife and Landscape) shots. Which should i choose? or should i choose another small, cheap super-zoom?[/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left]Thanks, Sim![/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left][/align]
SimmiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2008, 8:01 AM   #2

The Sony is the smaller camera. The H3 has been replaced by the H10, which is a little heavier than the H3 but more or less the same.

Other small cameras with long zooms are the Panasonic TZ4 and TZ5. If you want a camera that will fit into your pocket, the Panasonic TZ4 or TZ5 would be your best bet.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2008, 10:07 AM   #3

I had an SX100 and was very UN-impressed. HATED the stupid manual flip up flash. The flash recharge time was just painful as hecktoo.

Replaced it with the Sony H10 (newer H3) and couldn't be happier (thanksagain AndyfromVA!)- though I don't like having to buy memory sticks since I have so many SD cards and Sony's proprietary USB cable is lame.

Other than those 2 things - I much much prefer the Sony to the Canon (and I have always been a Canon fan and not so big on Sony stuff).

Bill
oj467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2008, 12:30 PM   #4

Ok thanks guys, looks like it may be the H-3 then, that seems the better option
SimmiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2008, 9:31 AM   #5

I own both cameras. The Sony H-3/H-10 is the clear winner without a doubt. Plus it has a great flash range as well.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2008, 2:14 PM   #6

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
I own both cameras. The Sony H-3/H-10 is the clear winner without a doubt. Plus it has a great flash range as well.

Sarah Joyce
do you have the h3 or h10 or both if so can you see any difference in the 2 and can we see sample photos with the h3 and h10 to compare or is it just the h3 you have still
jeanette62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2008, 4:12 PM   #7

Since Steve's hasn't done and H10 review - I'll toss this out. From Dpreview's site - they stated the following about the H10:

Quote:
The Cyber-shot DSC-H10 was announced in late January and comes as a successor to the DSC-H3 which itself was only launched a mere 5 months earlier. The H10 only constitutes a relatively minor upgrade with the new larger 3.0" screen with its increased resolution (230K pixels vs 115K) being the only major difference between the two camera generations. In Sony's 'High Zoom' hierarchy the H10 is the junior partner of the new flagship H50. It offers a 10x zoom in a very compact body for photographers on a tight budget and is equipped with an 8MP sensor. The feature set is virtually identical with the H3's and includes Face Detection, Optical Image Stabilization and HDTV output (albeit using an optional composite video cable or Cyber-shot Station dock). In the fairly small bracket of compact long zoom cameras the H10 is going head-to-head with competitors such as the brand new Panasonic TZ5 and the similarly specified Canon SX100 IS.
Here's the link to their review of the H10: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydsch10/

Hope that helps.

Bill
oj467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2008, 11:15 PM   #8

Jeanette62-

I own the earlier H-3 and opted to pass on the H-10 camera. The H-3 or the H-10 whichever you purchase offers an excellent value and a very small form factor.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 2, 2008, 11:20 PM   #9

SimmiS-

If you want a camera smaller than the Sony H-3 or H-10, thentake a look at the Panasonic LZ-8. It is smaller, less expensive, but stillcapable with a bit less zoom andithas great featuresand it is an excellent value.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 3, 2008, 3:25 AM   #10

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Jeanette62-

I own the earlier H-3 and opted to pass on the H-10 camera. The H-3 or the H-10 whichever you purchase offers an excellent value and a very small form factor.

Sarah Joyce
I have the h3 too just wondered if they had made any difference to the picture quality , am still waiting to see some of your samples from your working trip Sarah have you posted any anywhere ?
jeanette62 is offline   Reply With Quote