Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 3, 2008, 10:50 PM   #31

BostonBull wrote:
Quote:
I am going to look at the A200, and G9. I dont want to be overwhelned with learning settings, and controls. This will make me not want to use ANY camera, and hate the pictures it produces for the simple fact that its laborous. I dont want this, I want it to be fun to use and stress free. Not worrying about settings, lenses, flashes, and then editing.
Remember, no matter which camera you buy, you can always leave it on Auto mode 100% of the time! That way you won't have to change anything, ever. Whether you're talking about cheap point and shoots or expensive DSLR's.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2008, 4:51 AM   #32

Why not consider an Olympus E-510 ? now that the new E-520 is out you can get excellent rebates on the E-510.

Pictures taken with my E-510 :

http://philippeluyckx.zenfolio.com/p999439557/

Excellent reviews :

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_reviews/e510.html

http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/oly-e510/e510-gen.php

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse510/

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/olympus/e510-review/

guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2008, 9:47 AM   #33

BostonBull-

I can understand your feelings about wanting to make things a good deal less complicated and how camera size is important to you. Those priorities are perfectly OK.

A camera like the Canon G-9 could be the perfect answer for you. Like wise the Panasonic TZ-5 with an even smaller form factor and more automation might be an even better answer for you. 'Not to worry at all!

The main thing is you want a camera to enjoy, use, and to have fun with year around while you record great memories.

Here is a sample photo from the TZ-5, taking without flash at ISO 800.

Sarah Joyce

Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2008, 5:23 PM   #34

I went and picked up a new camera today. I decided on the Canon G9. I was LOVING the A200, but the number one most limiting factor of the A200, and all other entry level dSLR cameras was the no live view. Any dSLR that had live view were out of my budget by at least $300.

I got the G9, 2mb high-speed memory card, and 2 extended year warranty, for $524 including tax @ Best Buy. This was as good of a deal as I had found online, they only charged me $429 for the camera as thats the lowest they could find it online.

Its charging now, ill hopefully get to play with it tonight. Now I am off to read the manual!

What software does everyone use for SIMPLE (newbie) editing of pictures? We usually use the Kodak software that we have had for a while, is there anything better thats compatible with my new Canon?

Thanks for all the help guys!!!!!
BostonBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2008, 6:01 PM   #35

BostonBull-

Congratulations on your new Canon G-9. I am sure you will enjoy it a lot. As to software, go to google and download a free copy of Picasa 2. if you like software and want to get better at photo editing, look at Paintshop Pro X-2 or Adobe Photoshop Elements 6.0.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 4, 2008, 6:14 PM   #36

Thanks!

I MAY get into editing, but for right now I want some basic software that I can play with, and take baby steps to learning to use.

Can I upload RAW images into that editing software, and then save a JPEG? It seems like shooting RAW is the way to go, IF I learn to edit, and shoot in this mode.

Old Jul 4, 2008, 6:44 PM   #37

BostonBull-

Yes, I believe that Picasa 2 can also handle RAW. If not try gimp, it is also free and it does handle raw. One suggestion however, start with the .jpeg format and build your photo editing skills first before you move into pp'ing RAW which is much more complex.

I think itmight save a lot of frustration.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 4, 2008, 7:13 PM   #38

Thank you I will do that! Should I start editing with the Canon software?

If not, do I even need to load the Canon disk onto my computer, or can I upload right into those programs without it?

Old Jul 4, 2008, 9:29 PM   #39

BostonBull-

Be warned that the Canon software you got with your G-9 does not amount to much at all. If it were me, I would not even load it on the computer. Picasa 2 froom www.google.com will be much more effective and useful.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 5, 2008, 2:31 PM   #40

Boston Bull,

I would recommend loading the Canon software that came with your G9. I use it with my G9 to download pictures to my PC, and to convert RAW images to JPEG or TIFF. It works good enough for your beginner status, as well as my beginner status with RAW. I use Picasa for basic JPEG fixes, emailing a few pictures, and for the Picasa Web feature to post batches of photos to share with friends and family. I do not like the Picasa software for converting RAW to JPEG.

Welcome to the G9 Club. In addition to this forum, you may also be interested in visiting a forum devoted to the Canon G series, especially the G9 at;

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...splay.php?f=17

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote