Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 29, 2008, 8:37 PM   #1

I am looking at upgrading my current camera. I have a Sony DSC W100. I like it but want better photo quality. I would prefer a pocket style, but will consider all. I think my price range puts me out of good Dslr?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks in advance!!!
BostonBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2008, 9:02 PM   #2

For $500 you can get a Nikon D40 or a Sony A200, with a lens. The Sony has 10mp and optical image stabilization.
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Digit...ategorylist.do
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2008, 9:07 PM   #3

Are the cameras you listed going to be reliable, take better pics than my Sony, and be easy to use?

What about the G9? It seems like a simple camera? I dont want anything ultra complex that I wont be able to use. I mainly take shots of the family, friends,VERY zoomed in closeups, shots of landscpaes @ work, sporting events,etc etc
Old Jun 29, 2008, 10:54 PM   #4

BostonBull wrote:
Quote:
Are the cameras you listed going to be reliable, take better pics than my Sony, and be easy to use?

What about the G9? It seems like a simple camera? I dont want anything ultra complex that I wont be able to use. I mainly take shots of the family, friends,VERY zoomed in closeups, shots of landscpaes @ work, sporting events,etc etc
DSLR's should be at least as reliable as P&S cameras. All DSLR's will take better pictures than your Sony, especially in low light. DSLR's can be set on Auto like P&S cameras and will do all the work for you. You can take them off Auto and explore their manual options when you're ready.

The Canon G9 is not a simple camera if you take it off Auto - It has as many options as a DSLR. While the G9 is better than your Sony W100, it still won't take pictures that look as good as DSLR's will.

It's hard to justify purchasing a G9 for $450 to $500 when you can buy an excellent Sony DSLR and lens for the same price.

Compare pictures from the Canon G9 with the Sony A200:
Canon G9
http://www.flickr.com/cameras/canon/powershot_g9/
Sony A200
http://www.flickr.com/cameras/sony/dslr-a200/
Old Jun 30, 2008, 12:32 AM   #5

I think that the Canon 400D is also in that price range. Yes the DSLR is able to take better pictures and it has more expansion posibilities. DSLRs are also faster than most (all?) Point and shoots. You will capture the picture without the shutter lag,press the button and it will take the picture without any noticeable delay. Now grantedthey are not a really smallpocket camera so having a P&S to keep in a pocket may still be a good idea.
GatorKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2008, 6:50 PM   #6

Thats the trouble. I am only going to carry ONE camera, I cant afford to have 2. if I were I would just buy a $1500 camera to begin with.

I guess the biggest decision is to carry a full body size or a compact style. I am really drawn to the G9 for its size and that it takes decent photos.

The DSLR's do take some pretty sick pictures though! Hard to carry though too.......
Old Jun 30, 2008, 6:58 PM   #7

Are there any cameras around the size of a G9 or my Sony that take pics like the A200 quality?

Old Jun 30, 2008, 7:19 PM   #8

Alright, after viewing different photos from different camers, the wife wants a DSLR.

Want to stay around 500-550. Whats the best in this price range? A200?
Old Jun 30, 2008, 7:43 PM   #9

In addition to the Sony A200 kit, other DSLR's in that price category are the new Olympus E420 (small, very good all around but no image stabilization) and the Nikon D40 (very good all around but only 6 megapixels and no image stabilization).
Old Jun 30, 2008, 9:23 PM   #10

Do I REALLY need IS in the body? or is in the lens sufficient?

I am coming from a Point and shoot, so this is going to be quite the learning curve!

I need something to shoot GREAT family photos with, both indoors and out. Scenery, Macro, and action shots.

What is Live view?

The models I have it narrowed down to are...

Sony A200 and A300

Nikon D40 and D60

Canon Rebel XTi Canon 350D

What other models did I miss?

I also need something that my wife will be able to use. She absolutely hates learning new electronic items, but will most likely use this more than me around the house and friends.

What are the pluses and minuses of buying a kit as oppsoed to a camera body and lens seperate? I dont foresee us changing lenses very often.

Sorry for being redundant and thanks for the help.....Seriously!!!