Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 30, 2008, 4:10 PM   #1

I am in the marketfor the best camera for nightclub shots, party shots and low light shots. So far I have researched and found 3 that I am interested in (help me if you think there are others!).

1. Nikon S550

2. Canon SD 1100 IS

3. Sony DSC-W120

My budget is under $299. I must have quality photos. And looking for the ultra small/pocket camera. I currently have the Pentax Optio S-51, and it is time to upgrade.

Thank you.
goodtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2008, 5:52 PM   #2
Administrator

As a general rule, most smaller cameras are not going to do that well for low light photos indoors, since most have a relatively short flash range (especially if you zoom in much, since flash range will drop off as you zoom in), and you'll need a flash in the type of environment you're wanting to shoot in with this type of camera. Redeye can also be an issue with smaller cameras (due to the close proximity of the flash to the camera's lens).

You may want to check out Steve's Best Cameras List for more options (these are models deemed to be a good value within their market niche).

I'd look closely at the comments on things like Autofocus Performance (and model with a focus assist lamp would probably be a good idea), as well as how well a given model's flash works. These issues are discussed in each camera's review conclusion section (the last page before the sample images in each review).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2008, 6:39 PM   #3

i as well am looking for such a camera. i have seen several people pull them from their shirt pockets and take some fine photos that were near high def quality. your pentax suxs stay away from em. sounds like u have some nicesuggestions, maybe someone here can give u some advise. i will stay tuned wit you to find out meself.
klubking7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2008, 5:27 PM   #4

ok, my advise is the Sony Cybershot DSC-W150 as your best bet. or Canon SD1100 for a 2nd choice. check out the specs first befor u buy. im the klubking and in the know.
klubking7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2008, 11:45 PM   #5

A refurbished Fuji F20 can be gotten for less than $100 from some Amazon etailers. I had one and thought that its ISO 800 shorts were very good and ISO 1600 shots were decent. This camera was the "little brother" of the currently discontinued point and shoot low-light champion Fuji F31, which can't be gotten for less than an arm and leg now .
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2008, 4:10 PM   #6

Thanks for your reply JimC...I have indeed checked out all the specs on all the Ultra Thin Cameras on this site (very informative). But which one is the best for the indoor/club scene photos? There are so many to choose from and before I buy, I want to make sure it serves my purpose. I checked out a few at the local camera store and have ruled out several because they are too overwhelming with all their buttons.

There has to be 1 or 2 out there that will work better than the others! I know it is out there somewhere!
Old Jul 2, 2008, 4:12 PM   #7

Thank you for your suggestion KKing7. I checked these 2 out and found they were very impressive. I appreciate your input. I will keep them in mind during my search.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 4:14 PM   #8

Thanks Robbo, I appreciate your input as well. I didn't see any of the Fuji products at the camera store, but did check out your suggestion on the internet. Very attractive camera and indeed reasonable price. I will keep it in mind during my search. Again, thank you very much.