Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 4, 2008, 3:05 PM   #11

I think i may go with the H-10 after all, its cheaper, ilike the zoom, its got 85/100 in cameras.co.uk (v.good) and extremely fast shutter times, good for those critical shots.

Is there anything else i should know? or is there a better camera to suit my needs?
SimmiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2008, 3:19 PM   #12

SimmiS wrote:
Quote:
I think i may go with the H-10 after all, its cheaper, ilike the zoom, its got 85/100 in cameras.co.uk (v.good) and extremely fast shutter times, good for those critical shots.

Is there anything else i should know? or is there a better camera to suit my needs?
The reason you like the H10 (the zoom range)is the exact reason why I would NOT like the H10....it starts at a not-wide-at-all 38mm. It's not even as wide as camera with azoom rangethat starts at 35mm, and those are already notwide enough unless you arewilling to use an accessory wide angle attachment. You even state in your original post that a wide angle option is necessary.Is there a wide angle accessory lens option for the H10? If so, you;d better buy it. The H10 does not offera true wideoption in the includedzoom range.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2008, 4:12 PM   #13

wow. i didn't know it wasnt a wide angle camera.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Perhaps i should look a bit further
Old Jul 4, 2008, 4:58 PM   #14

SimmiS wrote:
Quote:
wow. i didn't know it wasnt a wide angle camera.

38mm barely qualifies as semi-wide. The first time you are in a confined space or are lookingto shoot something requiring a "real" wide angle lens, I am afraid you are going to be disappointed in what you cannot do with the "wide" end of the H10.

Sarah's suggestion of the Panasonic FZ18 (or TZ5 if you want acompact), both of which offer a real 28mm built-in wide angle option,makes much more sense.

I use a Panasonic FZ50 that only goes to 35mm on the wide side, but when I'm in a confined space and/or want a wider view, I screw in the Panasonicwide converter DMW-LW55, which converts the wide end of the camera to a 24mm really wide angle lens.

Here's an image where I used the 35mm focal length..

at 38mm, the H10 is not even this wide, but here's what the FZ50 covers when you mount the wide angle adaptor lens, giving a 24mm wide view..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2008, 5:30 AM   #15

Wow, i see. I shall have a look at the Panasonics then
Old Jul 5, 2008, 8:13 AM   #16

SinniS

The Panasonic TZ-5 has high resolution video and can zoom while filming. Load the latest firmware update for the best results. I leave in 30 min for Alaska.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2008, 1:59 PM   #17

Hmm, i still like the look of the H10

So it is H10 versus TZ5 versus i dont know accutally! any other small superzooms of good quality and low price?
Old Jul 6, 2008, 3:47 AM   #18

SimmiS wrote:
Quote:
...So it is H10 versus TZ5 versus i dont know accutally! any other small superzooms of good quality and low price?
I'd urge you to visit a shop (e.g., the one I mentioned in my other reply, to your introduction), get your hands on the real thing, taking a memory card with you to see for yourself what the cameras willdo in and around the shop. Handling is all important.

Price & reputation are not always a good guide, because all the manufacturers produce good and bad cameras.On prices you won't find anywhere local to beat Wrexham Cameras that I mentioned elsewhere. They've become good pals of mine, as you'll gather, having sold me all six of my and my family's successive excellent digicams. They also do very, very cheap prints up to 18x12 from my images on their wondrous machine. They also have a folder on the counter of A3 sized prints they've taken using all the cameras they've tested. Rhod Griffiths is the most commonly present camera expert.

You need to weigh up the value to you of the various facilities on these cameras. I wouldn't be without (a) image stabilisation (essential) and (b) an electronic viewfinder (highly desirable).

The latter on my Z712is has the near-unique feature of a pretty good live preview, enabling me to adjust the exposure before I shoot. I don't think folk in these forums believe I have this feature, but I do have dozens of shots posted round here on which I used that method! There is also the benefit that you can actually see and compose your images in SLR-like eye-level fashion, in conditions when LCD screens are useless due to bright ambient lighting.

As for local wildlife, try this one from my back garden (on a camera now costing under ukĀ£200, remember, if you can find one)...

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...896960#p896960

Good luck!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2008, 4:33 AM   #19

Excellent! i shall have a look at this Kodak. Are you still using it now or have you moved on?

I shall nip down to wrexham sometime, since i live in hoylake on the wirral, thanks for your reply!

Edit: Looks good i might buy it, only 1 problem, it seems a little bulky, is it bulky in real life? if you know what i mean?
Old Jul 6, 2008, 5:36 AM   #20

SimmiS wrote:
Quote:
...seems a little bulky, is it bulky in real life? if you know what i mean?
Here it is, plus my hand, a ruler, and the case I use for it, with spare batteries & cards, a mini-tripod, lens-cleaning stuff etc. The camera plus card and rechargeable CR-V3 Li-ion battery weigh 354g.

I use it heavily, as its my main pastime. This shot was taken with its predecessor, still in frequent use, a Casio EX-Z750 which fits in my shirt's breast pocket and lives in my vehicle.

I've just edited my previous post above a bit, as well.
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote