Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 6, 2008, 6:41 AM   #21

as long as i understang topic author, he saying about something like "ultrazoomning poket P&s" or "more or less poketable advanced P&S", not really UltraZoom, like SX100 and V610.

p.s. S800 and H9/10 - comparable by size.

SkyShoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2008, 7:01 AM   #22

That is correct.

I really like the look of the Kodak, it seems to do everything, but its a little bulky.

The H-3 does more or less the same things, little less zoom, but it is more compact.

i really am stuck for choice here.

Writing this, i have found a great comprimise, keeping in mind what alan said about reputations ,

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_US

Its another kodak, 8MP, 12x optical zoom, Image Spatiliser, And its reasonably small.
I think it may be similar to the Z718, but it doesnt have a viewfinder, and neitherdid the H3.This is a little letdown, but i think i should be ok without it.
Can you please check it out and see if it would be ok? im not that good with all this ISO Aperature Mumbo-Jumbo!

Regards - Sim
SimmiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2008, 7:17 AM   #23

SkyShoot wrote:
Quote:
as long as i understang topic author, he saying about something like "ultrazoomning poket P&s" or "more or less poketable advanced P&S", not really UltraZoom, like SX100 and V610...
Well, yes, if that's so, simply from the dimensions of really pocketable tiny cameras, it's unlikely that those will provide adequate aperture at full zoom as well as adequate image quality for much in the way of 'wildlife' as he mentioned. It's only marginal on my larger 'superzoom' Z712is, 12x, 36-432mm equiv., f/2.8-f4.8. Its front lens element is 20mm across, and the lens barrel is 50mm. My little Casio has only a 3x zoom.

That's why I was so pleased with the bee photo to which I posted a reference above. It was possible only because of bright sunshine. There's little scope for turning up the ISO with a tiny sensor.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2008, 7:53 AM   #24

SimmiS wrote:
Quote:
Writing this, i have found a great comprimise, keeping in mind what alan said about reputations ,

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_US

Its another kodak, 8MP, 12x optical zoom, Image Spatiliser, And its reasonably small....
I have actually had my hands on that one, the Kodak Z8612, in Wrexham. It is essentially the same camera body and layout as the Z612/Z712/Z812, but without the EVF, the best bit IMO, and with 12 Mpixels, far too many for such a small camera. I think the sensor & lens may be a bit bigger.Wrexham recommended it briefly, but don't any more.

So if you're looking for anything tiny, I fear you'll have to compromise over the physical limitations of sensor technology and optics - a bigger sensor, or a longer zoommeans more glass for the equivalent performance, especially in a long zoom.

I urge you to look around Wrexham's website, and talk to them on the phone about what you need. If you say you want something like "Alan T's Z712 from Steve's digicams internet forums", only smaller, they'll know exactly what you mean.

There's an interesting article there where the boss, Steve (another one), reflects on how much or how little compact camera design has advanced in the last 5 years...

http://www.wrexham-cameras.com/WHATS...ST-FUJ-CAN.htm

Good luck (again)!
Old Jul 6, 2008, 8:41 AM   #25

Thanks. I have sent them an email, since the phone lines aren't open.

Thanks for your input, and ill try to inform you of my purchase!
Old Jul 6, 2008, 10:11 AM   #26

about Kodak 8612's - i got strnge feedback about them.
many people notice serious detail losst, due to NR system agressivness, even in good light conditions.
and beside included in Kit(812 goes without) r-crv3 battery, i strongly advise to buy Z812 instead.
look at pbase or flickr for examples.
("one pictures worth thousans of worlds" (c))

Old Jul 6, 2008, 10:32 AM   #27

Oh okthen. Would you happen to know of any small 10x - 18x zoom cameras?
Old Jul 6, 2008, 10:56 AM   #28

no
"truly pocketable" zoomer is only something like P60-P80, P5x00 from Nikon, Canon SX-100, obsolete Kodak V610, medium-sized Nikon S10(but shoot not bad at all !!)
and little heavier - also S5x00 and S1000 from Fuji and Similar models from Olympus.

also you can take a look(and i strongly suggest) at new 7x Olympus Stylus models(1010 and 1020).
they shoot not bad for poket cam.

and keep away from 3rd party verdor-made digicam,
except Mustek-Kye-BENQ

Old Jul 6, 2008, 11:05 AM   #29

It Doesnt have to be truley pocketable. Around 4"Wide 3" high and 3" deep will suit me!

I think the Z712 will fit into this catagory. so i think i might go for it!

Ebay is selling new ones for 100£with free tripod etc. is this a good offer?

Old Jul 6, 2008, 3:29 PM   #30

SimmiS wrote:
Quote:
...Ebay is selling new ones for 100£with free tripod etc. is this a good offer?
Yes, if the camera (and batteries and charger if present)work, and if you don't get ripped off somehow.