Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 2, 2008, 2:09 PM   #1

Hi,

I am looking for a new camera to buy to follow up our much beloved Nikon E880. Especially it's presets is something I haven't found in the two cameras I've had in the mean time. I am wondering if any Nikon will have the same presets, or not necessarily? (I'm meaning presets "Portrait, Sunset, Night etc".) I'm especially wanting a camera that can capture sunsets as pretty as the Nikon E880 could:

I know that with computer programs you can make your pictures of sunsets beautiful, but I don't have that much time to edit my photos on the computer, so thats why I want a camera that can capture sunsets well by itself, without editing necessary.

We now have a Fujifilm FinepixF30 in our household which I haven't been able to take a picture of a sunset with where the colours are as pretty as in reality (which the Nikon could amazingly, see picture above!) - which has disappointed me very much... But maybe I don't know which settings to use on this camera, which will make it capture good sunsets? (Preset Sunset certainly doesn't help.)

So the questions are:

- What is an upgraded version of Nikon that would be similar to our E880 concerning taking pictures of sunsets/pretty colours?

- What should I look for in other cameras, on my hunt for finding a new camera, that will tell me if it can capture beautiful sunsets?

(And perhaps
- What could I do on my Fujifilm Finepix F30 which will enhance taking pictures of sunsets?)

Thank you!

Fera is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2008, 5:07 PM   #2

Your Fuji F30 is one of the best small cameras ever made and you're very lucky to have one. Are you aware that the F30 has a sunset scene mode? Here are some great sunset shots that have been taken with it:
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=suns...ix_f30&z=t
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2008, 3:16 AM   #3

Thank you for your reply. I have been rereading the Fujifilm guide to see what options I have missed for taking good pictures - because like you say and I have read on several sites this appearantly is on of the best compact cameras.
Thanks.

I'm still looking for Nikon follow-up because the Fujifilm is my mothers. So if anyone knows a Nikon (compact, ultrazoom) that is known for beautiful colours/sunsets I'm curious to know!

Fera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2008, 7:29 AM   #4

The Nikon S600 has a nice wide angle lens and good colors. It should give you good looking shots, including sunsets.

Here are some sunsets taken with the S600:
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=suns...x_s600&z=t
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote