Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 3, 2008, 7:34 AM   #1

Hi all, Just wondered if anyone knew of any new compacts with 720p video due for launch in the next few months. I have bought and tried just about every compact with 720p video so far but they all seem to have some kind of major flaw , I am not expecting amazing quality from either the photo or video side of the camera just something that does both reasonably well . I found that all the cameras I tried produced still photos within my expectations but the video side was always seriously flawed.

I started with a sanyo hd2 but the lack of IS was a major problem also it was too big to slip in a pocket.

I then tried the kodak v1253 which was ok, video quality was acceptable but the audio was terrible ,far too much gain on the mics which caused terrible distortion if in a noisy environment, it also locked up a lot which was very annoying (even with new firmware installed), the v1273 has mono audio so I didnt try that.

I then tried a panasonic fx35, lovely camera but no zoom when taking video and the audio was absolutely terrible.

I am now on a samsung nv24hd which seems to be the best so far, video is excellent as is the audio, the only 2 gripes I have with the camera is that its a bit too big and the audio cuts out when you use the zoom (WTF!!!!!)

Have I missed anything so far thats worth trying, it needs 720p video, to be able to zoom in video mode, good optical IS , small size (fx35 size) and decent stereo audio, I know im asking a lot but surely theres something out there or something on the horizon.:?

Cheers.

ps , yes I have considered the TX1 but its just too hungry for sd cards.

fallwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2008, 3:20 PM   #2

Probably every new compact from about $175 up will have HD video. I suspect however you'll be satisfied with none. You seem to be trying to get $900 performance for $200.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2008, 6:46 PM   #3

ac.smith wrote:
Quote:
Probably every new compact from about $175 up will have HD video. I suspect however you'll be satisfied with none. You seem to be trying to get $900 performance for $200.
As prices are different in the Uk you have to pay at least $450 to get anything with hd video on it , my 1st hd2 cost me £485 (about $950) so its not really a money issue, if it cost $2000 I would pay it to get a compact with the features I wanted.
fallwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2008, 8:26 PM   #4

fallwood wrote:
Quote:
As prices are different in the Uk you have to pay at least $450 to get anything with hd video on it , my 1st hd2 cost me £485 (about $950) so its not really a money issue, if it cost $2000 I would pay it to get a compact with the features I wanted.
Hopefully some of the manufacturers are reading this and will examine the market potential of what you want.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote