Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 4, 2008, 11:03 AM   #11

whisky_n_whisky wrote:
Quote:
all these cameras i've listed (except canon xt) will cost me 499.99. ...
It would be hard for me to pass on the Canon XT because of the potential for expansion, but I think the best choice would be the Sony A200. With 10MP, sensor shift image stabilization, and all the great lenses available used, the A200 is hard to beat.

And eBay typically has about 15 copies of the Minolta 70-210mm f/4.0 (affectionately known as 'The Beercan'), most of which could be had for less than $200. The Beercan is an extraordinary lens that Minolta made oodles of and then discontinued. They are constantly in demand but there are plenty of them out there so the price stays relatively low.

See:

5d and Beercan does lens envy

Grandaughter's swim meet June 2008

My best shot yet, Red Winged Redbird
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2008, 11:13 AM   #12

thank you so much guys for all your recommendation, i made up my mind, well at least 90% at this point i am going with sony a200. even tho i don't like its iso3200 performance its still good to know its there its dynamic range performance seems to be better, lens options are plenty thanks to minolta lenses, sony lenses are also reasonably priced for what i need. even tho i wont get a secocnd and third lens very very soon because of my budget, the lens it comes with is still a semi/decent lens for a beginer. i will still keep using my sp550 for extended zoom needs or sell it for a sony 75-300mm lens (they have it for 249 bucks on their web site). it should do the job for me with 2 lenses a 18-70mm & 75-300mm. i guess. i hope i wont regret going dslr :-)
whisky_n_whisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2008, 1:47 PM   #13

Actually, the Sony 75-300 isn't as good as the Sigma APO which is cheaper. The Sony is soft at the long end, goes dim quickly as you zoom out, and has significant chromatic abberation (purple fringing) at the long end.

If you need to go out to 300mm the Sigma APO would be a better choice, and if not, the Beercan is hard to beat.
Old Jul 4, 2008, 2:08 PM   #14

w-n-w-

Good decision! I think you will like the A-200 a lot. Congratulations and Happy 4th of July!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2008, 11:44 PM   #15

and here is my sony :-) with my olympus sp-550 (oly has the adapter with PL filter thats why it looks like a dslr

Attached Images

whisky_n_whisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2008, 8:42 PM   #16

Within this discussion - and since I don't know how to ask a question - I've two XTi's and my son has a XT (Digital) - I'm looking at a SONY A200 - would any of my lens' be interchangable? I've about ten lens' I use with the Canon - take shots in the swamps of SE GA - neat stuff - but alive and deadly.

Chuck Ingerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2008, 10:01 PM   #17

First, Canon lenses can, no doubt,be adapted to fit Sony dSLRs, but autofocus and autoexposure won't work, and they may not focus to infinity, so, short answer: No.

Second, when you enter a forum (where you see the list of topics), there is a button labled 'New Topic', that will start a process where you cna create a new topic within a forum. I suggest you pose your question in a new topic to get better exposure to your questions, rather than tagging them onto the end of someone elses.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 10:07 PM   #18

Thank you - will do - sorry - get confused easily - c
Chuck Ingerson is offline   Reply With Quote