Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 3, 2008, 5:31 PM   #1

Longtime SLR user (still have and love myCanon EOS Rebel, but, it's time to move on). Time to go digital but Irecognize a dSLR is too much now (that whole lens envy thing is only part of it!)

Looking at Canon A720 or A650, but don't like the reviews of the lag time for flash. I thought I wanted telephoto but in reality, some zoom is fine but the chunkier digicams (Pany FZ18 etc) probably won't go with me when I'm in a hurry and headed out, so they won't get used. I may be older, but I'm still travelin' light and fast!

I likean opti viewfinder. Not sure how critical it is but I find an LCD hard to see in bright light.

So I guess I mostly shoot family stuff now and find myself missing shots with my now-ancient Coolpix 4600 (talk about lag time!). My faves are ambient light shots, candids, that kind of thing.

Any suggestions?
Robin_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2008, 5:51 PM   #2

There aren't too many small cameras with an optical viewfinder.

I like the Sony W series, especially the W 150.

There's also the Canon SD1100IS and SD770IS.

Finally, Nikon makes the P60, a nice small camera with an electronic viewfinder.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2008, 7:29 PM   #3

Thanks. I hadn't seen the P60 reviewed anywhere but it looks like a likely suspect. I forgot to mention wanting full manual which it has.

And now that you mention it, electrical viewfinder is fine --I just needed an alternative to LCD.
Robin_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2008, 12:52 PM   #4

if price is an issue then definitely look into olympus sp-550/560/570

550 is now down to $199 with any option that you can find on a dslr. some panasonic and fuji models are a little better (doesn't offer more options tho). with a much bigger price tag (almost as expensive as dslrs).

here is a link for something i posted about pros. and cons. of sp550 (just click on where it says HERE)
whisky_n_whisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2008, 1:46 PM   #5

Robin_G wrote:
Quote:
Longtime SLR user (still have and love myCanon EOS Rebel, but, it's time to move on). Time to go digital but Irecognize a dSLR is too much now (that whole lens envy thing is only part of it!)

Looking at Canon A720 or A650, but don't like the reviews of the lag time for flash. I thought I wanted telephoto but in reality, some zoom is fine but the chunkier digicams (Pany FZ18 etc) probably won't go with me when I'm in a hurry and headed out, so they won't get used. I may be older, but I'm still travelin' light and fast!

I likean opti viewfinder. Not sure how critical it is but I find an LCD hard to see in bright light.

So I guess I mostly shoot family stuff now and find myself missing shots with my now-ancient Coolpix 4600 (talk about lag time!). My faves are ambient light shots, candids, that kind of thing.

Any suggestions?
If you aren't going to go with a DSLR, there's no reason why you can't use two different digicams that are different enough to be more versatile and give you more options. Whatever brand you pick, I'd buy a compact and a larger, better spec'd model for when, honestly, the subject is beyond the compact's ability.

With Canon, you could pick a Digital Elph to go with either a G9 or S5is.

I use two Panasonic models, a TZ5 and FZ50. I've travelled with both, the FZ50 to Paris..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...00886345_VkZvE

and the TZ5 to St. Croix, US Virgin Islands..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...96939589_cmkXQ

If you want access to RAW to maximize image quality, you can have it in the higher spec model..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...7_MjMq6#P-1-15

If you want to be able to use a separate flash for better lighting quality, you can still have it in the higher spec model..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...88380159_NDkY8

Yet if you need to use flash with the smaller body, most cameras today offer redeye correction, allowing you to use flash without having to later correct the images in software. Not everyone likes post processing. When I use my TZ5, I'd rather avoid it, andthe TZ5lets me do that, whether I use the flash with the camera zoomed to 77mm..

or zoomed all the way to 280mm..

You don't need DSLR's to have access to a lot of versatility. There are definitely subjects that don't work as well, or even well at all. If you are into shooting sports, especially indoors or at night, you need a DSLR.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote