Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 3, 2008, 6:08 PM   #1

I've narrowed my camera search to a Nikon Coolpix P5000...then I spotted a P5100. Is there a difference or are they the same with different numbers to indicate the year after introduction they were produced? Thanks for any insights. M
MistyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2008, 9:39 PM   #2

MistyJean-

The Nikon P-5000 (2006) came first and it had 8mp, Then along came the P-5100 (2007) with 10mp and in a month or two you will have the P-6000 (2008) at 12mp.

However, you must keep in mind that as you crowd more and more megapixel on the very same CCD imager, that the pixels or photosites have to become dimensionally smaller and smaller in their physical size. That means that you can expect more "noise," which looks like static, blurring your image or photo as you increase the ISO settings above ISO 100 or ISO 200.

You can probably find a better price on a P-5000 and save a bunch of money, because 8mp is just fine for prints up to 11" X 14." Beyond 8mp you are going to loose photo/image quality with any digicam as the megapixels increase. More and more megapixels is just a form of selling the cameras, and it allows the manufacturer to say this is a new camera just because the megapixel count has been increased.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2008, 9:59 PM   #3

Thank you SO much for getting back to me. What I need, then, is a P5000. I just want to be able to capture my 18-month-old grandson BEFORE I lose the expression or gesture! I could have a zillion pixels and STILL not catch that little guy at his cutest. I appreciate your time and information. Happy Fourth. My parents lived in Oregon for a while...near Salem...beautiful country. M
Old Jul 4, 2008, 10:15 PM   #4

MistyJean-

I am glad that I could help out. The P-5000 has a nice hotshoe on it. Using a Nikon external flash like the SB-400 might work out well for you in getting those photos of your grandson.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2008, 11:03 AM   #5

agree, 5000 - brighter, wider and even faster.
and surprisingly cheap and have hot-shoe :-)

SkyShoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2008, 4:31 PM   #6

Sarah Joyce,

I haven't bought the camera yet. I keep going back to the internet and confusing myself COMPLETELY! Now I'm looking at a Nikon Coolpix P60. A little background: currently I'm trying to use a Pentax Optio S40. It's about 3 or 4 years old. It takes decent pictures once in a while, but I cannot for the life of me get a good shot, as I mentioned before, of my fast-moving grandson. Between the time I depress the button and the moment the shutter opens, my baby's LONG gone. I want to stay in the $300-350 range, but if the P60 will take pictures of my little man AND some photos of mountains in Colorado, maybe I can spend less? You know a LOT more about cameras than I do. I've never had a Nikon and would just like to try one...also the P5000 is in Steve's short "Prosumer" list AND is in a more comfortable price range than the other two recommended. TMI? Probably, but I want something that is user-friendly...something the Grandmother can grab and get a GREAT picture of that precious little boy! And his eyelashes. And his toes. Got the picture? Pun intended. Thank you SO much, Meg
Old Jul 6, 2008, 5:38 PM   #7

This is from Steve's review of the Nikon P5000:

Quote:
Shooting performance was average for a digital camera in this class. Power up to first image captured averaged 3.1 seconds. Shutter lag measured less than 1/10 of a second when pre-focused and 5/10 of a second including autofocus. When shooting in single exposure mode, the shot to shot delay averaged about 2.7 seconds between frames without the use of the flash and slowing to between 5 - 7 seconds with the flash, depending on subject distance; the LCD also goes blank while the flash is recharging.
It sounds kind of slow to me.

You may want to consider another camera on Steve's list, the Panasonic FS3, which is much faster in shot to shot delay:

Quote:
Performance from the FS3 was good. It only takes the camera 2.4 seconds to capture its first image from the time that you turn the power on. The shutter delay, the time it takes the camera to capture an image after you press the shutter release was just 1/10 of a second when the camera is prefocused and 7/10 of a second when you allow the camera to focus. In normal shooting mode, the camera's shot to shot delay is approx. 1.2 seconds without the flash and just under 2 seconds with the flash.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2008, 6:09 PM   #8

Thanks, Andy. I'm going to look at the camera you suggest. Cost will factor into the equation. I appreciate your input. M
Old Jul 7, 2008, 12:41 AM   #9

i suggest Fuji F100 digicam.
priced about ~$310
performing not only incomparably fast, but produces nice pictures.
and because for me - to hard to shoot other brad-made digicam(and look at result :-)

p.s. and YES, Nikon typically save on DC's IC in P&S segmentm, thus Nikon P&S - quite slow.

SkyShoot is offline   Reply With Quote