Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 5, 2008, 6:31 AM   #1

Hi to all;

I've read tens of reviews, but i couldn't find.

Although i like, i have no interest in active professional photography. I am a student. My aim is to record lectures, and I wan to buy a 5mp-i think it will be enough for me- camera with built in high quality microphone, and ultra-if possible- high quality voice recording feature. However, i don't want to buy a toy. I want a realiable camera. Lens quality is very important.

optional: 720p video recording feature, not essential but would be nice i guess(?) I don't a higher resolution becuse my laptop and lcd does support 720p, not higher. I don't want to edit Gigabytes of overquality video than i need.

Thank you very much. I am vew here, sorry for any unintentional mistake.
ornitrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2008, 8:13 AM   #2

Digital cameras are generally poor to adequate at audio and video recording. Also using the recording feature will drain your battery very quickly.

To me it makes much more sense to record lectures by purchasing a dedicated voice recorder, which you can buy for a pretty cheap price. You can then use your camera for what it's good at - taking still photos and short You Tube type videos.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2008, 8:50 AM   #3

Thanks.

in fact "to record lectures by purchasing a dedicated voice recorder", i've been thinking about. But i also need a digital camera, i thought it would be better to buy to features in one.

Also, i was predicting there will be lots of brilliant advises. I'm disappointed to have to pay both, camera and voice recorder. How can these, lots of, movie recording cameras don't have enough quality for a simple voice recording feature? Unbeliavable.

Thanks again.
ornitrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2008, 3:58 PM   #4

You could try the Casio line of camera. They have an audio only record mode feature. It'll just keep recording until you run out of space on the memory card. The challenge is placing the camera/microphone in a location for optimal sound pickup.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2008, 3:05 AM   #5

ornitrin wrote:
Quote:
...camera with built in high quality microphone, and ultra-if possible- high quality voice recording feature...
This is a contradiction in terms. If it's small enough to go in a camera, it won't be high quality. Even on consumer camcorders (until recent dumbing down) the microphones were behind large and very visible grills or muffs. A good quality microphone can't be put behind a tiny hole in a camera body, because obviouslyit can't hear properly through a tiny hole.

You might just get decent results with a little Casio, but you should try it first with someone else's before spending much money!

The only good compromise to be seen in these forums between size, convenience and cost on the one hand, and quality on the other, is the fiercely argued debate about whether a 'hybrid superzoom' camera is ever an adequate substitute for a dSLR. It is for me; I use one. But I use a camcorder for sound and video, and a camera for stills. It's a personal decision. Don't believe the advertising!

My very cheap Samsung DVC camcorder is pretty hopeless as a still camera, but would do your lecture jobmore than adequately. I know its sound is fine, because I've recorded my family's classical musical performances, with output via a digital link to a DVD recorder. It cost roughly the same as a good superzoom hybrid still camera, and would do you excellent family movies for years as well.

The grill covering the microphone is nearly as large as the lens.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote