Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 7, 2008, 5:33 AM   #1

On the face of it, I'm sure a lot of people think I am crazy to ponder such a question. A point and shoot camera vs what can be achieved from a DSLR.... but please read on.

I have the Sony DSC-P200 which was a superb camera when I bought it 3 years ago. Still, it takes great photos and has a variety of modes with it (http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/p200.html). It also has the infamous problem of dust on the sensor which costs £150 for a repair at Sony, which is silly money and has resulted to me using cans of air and the hoover over the lens to try and remove. However, these fixes are inherantly temporary and don't always work! To those that suggest opening it up, I am not willing to do that.

I am considering an upgrade to a dslr, and have my eye on the Eos 450d/XSi (especially with the £50 rebate available at the moment). I am wondering however, with the kit lens (18-55mm IS lens), how much better will the photos be in comparison. I like the 'put in your pocket' Sony, but for £420, is it a lot of money to ask for better photos?

I guess what I am saying is that on my Sony, you have 9 scene select options and P/M modes. With all these, 3x optical zoom (and admittedly less MP), would I necessarily notice a significant difference between photos from both cameras?

I take photos largely outdoors mostly, landscapes and cityscapes etc... (probably because I am a geologist and love the outdoors), but would I see that much of an improvement to warrant the £420 outlay for a new piece of kit (plus memory, battery, case , minitripod etc...)?

Thanks!
Megalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2008, 7:49 AM   #2

The 450D (indeed, any dSLR) is a better photographic instrument than the P200 (indeed, any P&S). But it comes with a price. While the 450D does have scene modes and you may be content to use them for the forseeable future, to really get the benefit of the 450D, you'll have to spend some time learning about it. That is an investment that only you can decide if you want to make.

Yes, the 450D's lens isn't as long as the P200, but it's wider. And while the P200 has digital zoom (a way of enlarging the image while giving up detail and/or resolution), the 450D has a 12MP image sensor compared to the P200's 7MP.

The differences are significant, and the potential for improved image quality is also significant, but only you can decide if you are willing to tap that potential, with both your money and your time.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2008, 6:50 AM   #3

Thanks TCav. I think I am going to hold off for a dslr and going to upgrade to a superzoom instead. I would love a nice camera kit, but I realise I would need to spend hundreds to obtain what I really would like from my camera (good zoom, wide angle etc...). I just don't have the money, and the best alternative for the money would be a decent superzoom (Pana FZ18 ). If I got the 450d/XSi, I would be stuck with the kit lens and wouldn't be able to afford to upgrade to anything else. The MP aren't the greatest on the FZ18 but I will value the zoom I think. It has a wide angle lens (plus additional super wide lens add-on if I feel it warrants it), very good zoom as well. Maybe the photos won't be the clearest, but it will teach me all I need to know for when I do eventually upgrade. Most of my photos will also be taken on trips, so carrying a laptop (for work) and a camera (+ lenses) seems a heck of a lot.

Maybe in a few years time I'll be ready to take the next step, but I think at present it would be a major gap that the FZ18 will hopefully fill.

Thanks!!
Megalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2008, 8:02 AM   #4

There are a number of people here that are very happy with their FZ18. Don't approach this like you're 'making do' or 'getting by'. The FZ18 may very well be all you'll ever need. Give it a chance.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote