Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 7, 2008, 12:42 PM   #1

hi,

I am about to buy the Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 and I don' t know which deal i should get.Could help me?

a)Sony a200 + Minolta AF 17-35mm f/2.8-4 (D) Autofocus Lens Kit =$673.00

b)Sony a200 +Sony 18-70mm & 75-300mm Lens Kit =$457.00

c)Sony a200 +18-70mm Lens Kit =$377.00

It would be great if you could help me out deciding which package you may thing is the most ideal for a beginner, and also considering the price.

Thank you very much

Tony
clippers40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2008, 1:06 PM   #2
Administrator

Those prices are too good to be true. The Sony A200 with a Sony 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 DT Autofocus Kit lens usually sells for $499.95 after the latest price drop.

In other words, you're likely dealing with a scam artist.

Stick with reputable vendors. Don't fall for the low advertised prices.

There are lots of scammers around with nice looking web sites with nice logos, etc. Most are located in the Brooklyn area, where they seem to be able to get away with it.

When you see prices that are much lower than you find at http://www.buydig.com or http://www.bhphotovideo.com (both reputable dealers) on major brand gear, there is usually going to be a catch. ;-)

The scammers will call you to confirm the order. Then, you'll also find out that they'll want to sell you high priced batteries, extended warranties, stuff that normally comes with the camera anyway, want to include inflated shipping and insurance charges (sometimes unauthorized). Anything to increase their profit (since they can't sell the camera alone at the advertised prices without losing money).

If you don't buy enough of the outrageously priced extras, your camera will suddenly go to backorder status (of course, the web sites still show them in stock and your credit card has been charged). They'll often sell gray market gear, too (not intended for sale in the country you live in with a store versus manufacturers warranty).

This has been going on for years. It's a racket.

Do yourself a favor and stick with a reputable dealer.

Make sure to check out any vendor you consider using http://www.resellerratings.com
(they're a bit better about filtering out fake vendor reviews compared to most)

If they are not listed, avoid them (these guys tend to start up new web sites often under a variety of names). If they have a small number of customer reviews there, avoid them (they tend to try and get away with padding their own ratings with glowing reviews). Some even seem to have their own ratings sites now (with all of the stores listed being same old scammers, with the reviews unbelievably good).

Suggested Reading:

How to buy a Digital Camera without being robbed
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2008, 10:16 PM   #3

What JimC said as far as where to buy.

As far as which of your three packages to buy - it depends on what you want to do with the camera. Your first package includes a faster lens than the other packages, but it would cover wide-angle to about what your eye sees as far as range. The lens would be useful for parties/indoors since its wide and fast, and would also do well for landscapes. It would be hopeless for wildlife/birds.

The second package has slower lenses, so you would probably need a flash indoors with them. It would be the better package if you were interested in birding. Are you going to want a long lens right away?

The third package has the advantage of being the cheapest. The nice thing about a dSLR camera is that you don't have to buy everything right away. If you aren't sure what you'll want right away, then buy this one with the kit lens and add additional lenses later, after you've had a chance to see what the kit lens can and can't do. If you aren't sure what you want to do with your camera, buy this one and go from there.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2008, 1:08 AM   #4

as long i can understan topic author, options b: suits very well(Two Kits lens).
i mean Sony lens(thats incuded in a-series) really good for beginner.

SkyShoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2008, 7:06 AM   #5

SkyShoot wrote:
Quote:
as long i can understan topic author, options b: suits very well(Two Kits lens).
i mean Sony lens(thats incuded in a-series) really good for beginner.
I also think these prices are a scam, but the Sony 75-300 isn't as good as the cheaper Sigma APO or the Tamron Di LD.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2008, 7:36 AM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
I also think these prices are a scam, but the Sony 75-300 isn't as good as the cheaper Sigma APO or the Tamron Di LD.
I'd probably avoid that Sigma (at least for now, until Sigma can figure out what's happening).

The Sigma 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6 APO AF lens appears to have a reliability problem with the new Sony dSLR models, due to what appears to be a build quality issue, in the way it works with the faster AF motors in these new cameras.

I've seen multiple reports of stripped gears with this Sigma on Sony dSLR models (both the A700 and A200) recently. Here's one thread on the subject:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=84

The Sony lens actually doesn't test too bad compared to similar budget zooms. Here's one review of it (and it's very inexpensive in a camera kit, too)

http://www.popphoto.com/cameralenses...5-56-zoom.html

Most of the budget zooms with this focal range are going to be a bit softer on their 300mm end, with a bit more CA than sometimes desired (and this Sony is no exception). Most are not too bad as long as you don't zoom in too far towards the longer end.

Old Jul 8, 2008, 8:00 AM   #7
Administrator

P.S.

buydig.com has the two lens kit for only $649 delivered right now, which is the lowest price I've seen lately from a reputable vendor.

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=SNDSLRA200W

That's only $150 more than the kit without the longer lens would cost at most vendors (most are getting $499 for the camera + 18-70mm lens right now).

So, you can't expect super quality from a lens that inexpensive. ;-) For the price, I think it's a good deal, depending on what you want to shoot and what the photos are going to be used for. Any choice is going to be a compromise in one area or another (size, weight, cost, focal range, brightness, optical quality at various focal lengths and apertures, etc.).

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=SNDSLRA200W