Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 9, 2008, 11:22 PM   #1

Check out these pictures - Amazing Photography: When Coffee Meets Milk

http://www.topnewsblog.info/tblog_10351.htm

Looks wonderful...wonder what camera was used...I'm trying to get one...
caf120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2008, 8:43 AM   #2

It isn't so much the camera as having a powerful flash and lots of patience. A powerful flash run at less than full power will have a very short duration - that stops the action, not the camera's shutter. Some way of triggering the flash by sensing whent the drop has hit would be useful/needed as well (the room can be dark and the shutter open for a fairly long time).

Patience because it will take a lot of shots to get the one you want. Also for the time it takes to clean the lens after just about every shot.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 8:52 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Bill is right, I've done this sort of shot with both dSLR's and superzoom cameras. I always used long enough lenses so that I didn't have to wipe the lens, and also put a lot of continuous light onto the subject so could freeze the action with the shutter speed rather than the strobe of the flash.... both will work.

I used my own timing to get the release at the right point, it took quite a while but once I had it down I was pretty close each time. I've not done any for quite a few years now so not even sure I can find any to share as they were just for my fun.

What kit do you have as you possibly can already do this?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2008, 8:02 PM   #4

I haven't tried that kind of shot since I went digital - tried with a chemical camera but the cost of processing and the delay in seeing results kept me from having much luck.

For speed, even the old thyristor flash units running at something like 1/4 or 1/8 power have a duration of something like 1/10,000 sec. Much faster than most shutters.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote