Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 14, 2008, 11:10 AM   #1

Hello all!!

Well I have just started my residency in Neurology and everyday I have to take pictures of CT films and MRI films, as well as images fo the CT and MRI from an LCD screen.
I own a Sony dsc w5 camera, which is pretty old, and my pictures are often blury. Which camera would you recommend that has the following features, that I believe will fit my demands. Would you recommend another feature?:

- Portable
-capable of taking good pictures of the films with white light contrast (in the negatoscope machine)
- Uses AA batteries (easier to charge, everybody have them in case I run out of power, and I own 8 rechargable ones)
- Very good close pictures Macro feature
- Not pixel pictures when taken from screen
- Fast (ct scans have 64 slides to be taken quikly)
- memory stick or sd card
- medium to good video features since I film a lot of my patients.
- CHEAP!!

Thank you very much.
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2008, 1:12 PM   #2

There are not that many good quality, small, inexpensive cameras with AA batteries available on the market. Probably the best are the Canon Powershot A cameras - A470, A570IS, A580, A590IS, A720IS and A650IS. If you're taking closeups (macros), those cameras with IS (optical image stabilization) are probably better for you than those without.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2008, 7:36 PM   #3

so, if I went to any store (cc, best buy, compusa) which one should I buy? or should I go for a more expensive one?

Old Jul 14, 2008, 10:26 PM   #4

I have the Canon A570IS and A720IS and they're both very good. Of the two I prefer the A720IS.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2008, 10:42 PM   #5

Expensive is not going to be better.

More money equals more features, many of which you most likely don't want.

Lightweight, something under 250 g or better yet under 200 g would be ideal (weight withbattery)

AA batteries, 'cause you said so (don;t disagree with your reasons either).

Macro features are hard for us (non-doctors) to judge, let's just assume macro is generally equal across most brands. If you can do a test in-store, I would suggest shooting the funnies from the Sunday newspaper. The color extremes and small print would be good equiv.

How fast is fast is hard for us to judge for your needs. But I suspect you have several seconds between slides which means a simple camera from most companies would be good enough.

SD card. Yep.

Video quality is never going to get confused with a real video camera, but most cameras are generally good enough for playback at home 640 x 480 size or larger on an LCD monitor.

Something I added is wide, wide angle(30mm equiv) For many reasons. I assume you are going to be working in small rooms, unable to step back to gain perspective. Some xrays are quite large (which would benefit from wide angle) unless you can step several feet away.

At the same time, I added a decent telephoto (135 to 150 mm size) because you might have to shoot from across the room due to all the attendings standing in front of you.

Cheap. Light Weight. Wide angle.Fairtelephoto range, Image Stabilization, Decent overall camera, AA batteries:

PanasonicDMC-LZ10 meets my requirements. CC has the camera for $230.

The Canon's are good cameras, but the cameras don't shoot as wide and generally weigh more than the Panny.

IF you don't need the really wide angle of the DMC-LZ10then the list can grow and the price can drop.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2008, 10:28 AM   #6

Definitely get something with focus lock or manual focus, so you can take pictures of objects at the same distance repeatedly without having the camera go through auto-focus each time.
itsme000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2008, 5:53 PM   #7

itsme000 wrote:
Quote:
Definitely get something with focus lock or manual focus, so you can take pictures of objects at the same distance repeatedly without having the camera go through auto-focus each time.
Yep, forgot that feature.

Autofocus is not bad, but many of these small cameras just don't do well focusing fast in poor lighting condition, and many hospital settings are not exactly bright lighting situations.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 8:27 PM   #8

THnx a lot, I will consider the panasonic one.

Now, if I use the Manual feature, what would be the best adjustments fot this pics? I regularly use the white light, macro of course, iso 200??

What do you think?

THNX