Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 14, 2008, 2:10 PM   #1

Greetings--

I am looking for a new camera to replace my Sony DSC-P200. I would like to stay below $300.00, and would like something relatively small but full featured with decent Zoom capabilities (i.e. more than 3x that most offer).

The P200 has served me well, but at this point I'd rather have something w/ SD memory since my Wife's camera uses SD as do several other devices I have. (she has a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 I believe)

That is not the only reason I'd like a new camera though.

While the picture quality of the Sony has been wonderful, the startup speed, time needed to focus, time between pictures, and ESPECIALLY the non-standard USB connection with the Sony has always bothered me as well, so correcting those things with my next purchase is important to me.

My dad purchased a Cannon 870IS 2-3 months ago which he seems very happy with, and seems to vanquish the things that bother me about the Sony I have...but I wanted to get input from folks who know a bit more than him or I.

I will be traveling to Scotland in September and would really like to have it by mid August so I can familiarize myself with it.

Any advice is very helpful. Thank you

Zak
agentphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2008, 2:42 PM   #2

The Canon SD870IS is an excellent small camera but it doesn't have the long zoom you're looking for. The Canon A720 IS is little larger than the SD870IS but has very good picture quality and a longer zoom (35mm to 21mm (6x). The Canon A650IS is similar to the A720IS but probably has better picture quality, though it's heavier.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2008, 3:34 PM   #3

Thank you Andy for your input.

Remember everyone, I am completely open to any brand that uses SD memory, doesn't have to be Canon, so if there are other suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!
Old Jul 14, 2008, 10:45 PM   #4

Looking to stuff the camera in your front shirt pocket?

Travel cameras that can fit into your front shirt pocket are better IMHO becuase the camera will most likely fit intothe front pocket of your pants or a jacket pocket and still be ready to pull out a moments notice.

I had a Kodak that died from concrete impact disease that was 109 x 65 x 38 mm and weighed 280g fully loaded. It was tight going in my front shirt pocket because of the height combined with thickness and the weight was about 1/2 of the battery weight too heavy for front shirt pocket but was still finefor front pants pocket.

I mention that information for a reason. Check the Panny TZ4: 103 x 59 x 36mm and 245g. Shorter in lengththan my Kodak (not that it really matters) slightly thinner and not as tall.

Now compare the Panny to the Canon A720: 97 x 67 x 42 and 250g

Canon A650: 112 x 68 x 56 and 300g

The Canons area bit clunky and will fail miserably the front shirt pocket test. I think the Canon A720 is a great camera, on my recommended list for my mom to carry in her purse, but it would fail my most critical standard for a compact camera.

The Panny TZ4 is sized small enough, got way more thanbig enough zoom, does the SD card, is under $300 and has a wider (28mm) wide angle lens that is going to capture lots of great outdoor scenes. AND it meets the front shirt pocket test. Downside is the lithium battery needing recharging.

Granted the TZ4 is kinda of redundant with the wife's camera, but I would still strongly consider the TZ4.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2008, 9:11 AM   #5

Steve-

Thank you very much for the response.

While it does seem redundant to my wife's camera, I do like her camera very much so maybe it's the way to go. I was hoping for something a bit smaller or thinner than hers though, her's still feels clunky to me.

Thanks
Old Jul 15, 2008, 6:51 PM   #6

I agree the Panny's are a bit clunky feeling, BUT going smaller is bad for my big fingers. Kind of Catch-22. And the"thinner" is going to loose big zoom.

StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2008, 7:55 PM   #7

Maybe the Canon SD890 IS would work, since it has a 5x optical zoom, 10 MP, easy to use, and fits in your shirt pocket. Price is right at your upper limit of $300.

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2008, 10:41 PM   #8

I was looking at the 890IS. Seems nice.

Once i ditch my DSC-P200 on Fleabay I'll let you guys know what I decided. It seems like it's between Canon and Panny. Both of which I've heard and read nothing but good about at this point.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 10:56 AM   #9

Any thoughts on Casios offerings?
Old Jul 24, 2008, 1:42 PM   #10

Got the 870is Thanks guys.