Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 16, 2008, 3:24 AM   #1

Hi

I'm in the process of trying to buy my first DSLR camera and lens kit and was hoping some of you guys in the know could help me out. I have a couple of options which I thought I could put up and you guys could help me make an informed choice. I have only used compact cameras before but intend to take a course once my DSLR is purchased. Price is a factor but it is certainly not the only factor as I plan to have and use the camera for a while. So here goes -

1. Sony Alpha 200 with 18 - 70 mm lens, bag and 2 GB sony CF card 499 Euros

2. Nikon D - 60 with 18 - 55 mm lens, and 2 GB card (Idon't think it's the vibration reduction lens) 499 Euros

3. Olympus E-510 double zoom with 14 - 42mm and 40 - 150mm lens', and 2 GB card 599 Euros

4. Sony Alpha 100kb with 18 - 70mm and 75 - 300mm lens', and bag 585 Euros

Any help or suggestions you could give me would be great.

Thanks Guys
griff110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2008, 8:45 AM   #2

They are all fine cameras. Each has it's strengths and weaknesses, that might or might not affect you.

Could you tell us what type(s) of photography you're interensted in?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 8:10 AM   #3

I'm just starting in to the world of photography so I'm looking for a bit of an all rounder. My preference would be to shoot landscapes, wildlife (within reason given I won't be spending a fortune on lens' and sport. Thanks TCav
griff110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 9:52 PM   #4

I absolutely hated one of the brands of cameras that is on your list because of the positioning of the hand grip.

Nothing wrong with the camera. I just hated the grip.

So go grab the cameras. Use one hand and try to take a shot. It is not the weight of the camera, but the balance of the camera, the size& shape of the grip and the angle of the release button that makes a whole world of difference.

There is no one single "Best" camera as we each have different hands and lengths of fingers etc.

Next try the viewfinder. Do you wear glasses, can you shot through the viewfinder with your glasses on? Is one viewfinder brighter than another. What would happen if you where shooting in a forest with heavy tree canopy? Can you see the in-viewfinder displays with ease?

Try the position of the major buttons. Ignore the fact for a momentthat you may not knowwhat button does what. Can you easily manipulate the buttons and knobs with your knubby, skinny or whatever fingers? What if you were wearing gloves?

Just playing around with the camera you will find a camera that just plain and simple FITS you better. A 30 minute trip to any camera store will really help.

By the way, any of the cameras are great cameras and will do you well. The camera is just the foundation from which great photos are achieved.Your talents make all the difference.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2008, 12:02 PM   #5

All the cameras you're considering come with lenses that should work for landscape. They each have a zoom lens has a 35mm equivalent focal length of about 28mm. Some people like to use a wider angle than that. Perhaps you could check some of the shots you've taken in the past to see what 35mm equivalent focal length you used when taking them.

As for wildlife, that would take a telephoto lens, but howlongdepends on what type of wildlife. Perhaps you could take alook at the Wildlife PhotosForum to see what types of lenses others are using to take the kinds of shots you want to take.

And I agree about the feel of a camera making a difference. Your requirements for a camera don't seem to be extraordinary, so perhaps your decision will come down to which one you feel the most comfortable using.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 9:14 AM   #6

first decide what kind of photography you are interested in. than decide on a lens. or probably your future lens and finally your camera. dslr's are all great and you can always ugrade to a new model. its difficult to sell all your equipment and go for a different brand. i have always wanted 18-200mm VR of nikon and bought it after using d40 for a year. now i have 50mm f1.8, 18-200mm VR and 18-55 kit lens and they all fulfill my needs.
echinacea is offline   Reply With Quote