Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 16, 2008, 11:39 AM   #1

Hello...

I am looking for a Digital Camera with Zoom 10X or more. I checked the details of some of the digicams like Sony H10, Sony H50, Nikon P80, Canon S5 IS, Olympus SP-570UZ, Fuji S8000fd. I narrowed my search to Sony H50 and Nikon P80. Kindly advise me.

Mymain usefor the camera isto take pictures of dance programs - Classical which has slow as well as fast movements. Closeup shots are also a necessity.

Does the make of lens do have a bearing on the quality? Which one is good between Carl Zeiss or Nikkor?

Will these cams get affected by fungus if not exposed to sunlight for long duration? Any anti fungal coating in these lenses?

Looking for an expert opinion...

Annan :?
Annan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2008, 6:00 PM   #2

I have taken pictures at several ballroom dancing competitions. I also love superzoom cameras. However, I think most of them would not do well in the lighting of the typical dance hall/auditorium, which is somewhat dim. Therefore, in order to get sharp (not blurry) pictures, you need to increase ISO settings to get fast enough shutter speeds. The picture quality of most superzooms is not great above ISO 400. There is one superzoom, the Fuji S100FS, which has a bigger sensor, and which does ok in low light. However, it costs more than many entry level DSLR's with a kit lens.

By the way, I own an Olympus SP-560 and like it very much. I have used it to take pictures from the cheap seats at a number of stadiums and arenas.Daytime games, this camera does well. Night games, it's hard to get good action shots after the third inning.

I heard that the Sony H10 is decent in low light.

I might also recommend one DSLR, the Sony A200, which is selling for $499 and which has a kit lens with a longer than usual zoom range.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2008, 6:13 PM   #3

Annan wrote:
Quote:
Hello...

... I narrowed my search to Sony H50 and Nikon P80. Kindly advise me.

Mymain usefor the camera isto take pictures of dance programs - Classical which has slow as well as fast movements. Closeup shots are also a necessity.

Does the make of lens do have a bearing on the quality? Which one is good between Carl Zeiss or Nikkor?

Will these cams get affected by fungus if not exposed to sunlight for long duration? Any anti fungal coating in these lenses?

Looking for an expert opinion...

Annan :?
No P&S camera such as those you're considering are especially suited for dance programs as the lenses are not particularly fast and with small sensor they will have a lot of noise at the high ISOs needed for that type of photography.

There may be differences in the image qualitybetween the H50 and the P80 but you're not going to be able to tell by the name on lens. Both Zeiss and Nikkor are well respected names.

Yes fungus can affect these cameras if stored under conditions of high humidity. I know of no lens that anti-fungicidal coating. the way to prevent fungal growth is by storing them in dry conditionsusing any method you can to achieve that condition.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote