Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 16, 2008, 4:39 PM   #1

Basically what I am looking for is: A digital camera that looks like DSLRs (must include the striped grooves around the lens… I am in love with it!) now I would have bought a DSLR itself but I also want to capture good quality video at least 30 fps and 640X480 (no upper limit) and with the maximum possible optical zoom. I am least bothered about megapixel. Guide me with some suggestion? Or ami I asking too much to fit in one piece of equipment? Please help!
rocktheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:26 AM   #2

I'd suggest breaking your requirements into two parts. Buy a DSLR that meets your still camera requirements and a video camera that meets your video camera requirements. I don't think your going to be satisfied attempting to combine the two requirements.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 2:24 PM   #3

Thanks for your suggestion but after some random googling I found out that S series of Fuji films finepix series meets the criteria pretty well. Among them finepix s6500fd seems to be okay. But i have never used fujifilm's cameras before (currently i use canon's A-530) I have never even seen/met anyone using it so if you know about this brand type kindly let me know...
Old Jul 17, 2008, 2:26 PM   #4

The Canon S5IS meets all your requirements.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 2:27 PM   #5

rocktheworld wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for your suggestion but after some random googling I found out that S series of Fuji films finepix series meets the criteria pretty well. Among them finepix s6500fd seems to be okay. But i have never used fujifilm's cameras before (currently i use canon's A-530) I have never even seen/met anyone using it so if you know about this brand type kindly let me know..
Neither the Fuji S8000fd nor the S8100fd have a threaded lens.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 3:21 PM   #6

The Fuji S100FS probably meets your requirements, but it isn't cheap.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2008, 10:11 PM   #7

rock,

I have the S6000 (identical to the S6500), and consider it an excellent camera. However, it was discontinued by Fuji quite some time ago, so the chances of you finding a new one probably aren't too good.

I think robbo gave you some good advice...take a look at the S100fs.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2008, 10:42 PM   #8

Also look at the Fuji s9100. The video featureof this camera in the fact thatyou can zoom in and out while shooting was one of the prime reasons I got this camera. It has 10.7x optical zoom. It can take filters as well. The 1000 might also be up your alley as well, but do to the fact that I love my s9100 I haven't tested it so I can't say for sure. The S9100 can shot at 5MP, 9MP normal and 9MP fine so when you need 16 x 20 prints you just shoot on 9MP Fine and you get all the quality you could ask for or when you want normal prints for just viewing on the computer the 5MP mode is great for that and the video mode isn't bad either........

This is the camera I use for 95% of my shooting and I shot fires, rescues and breaking news tpye stuff plus large scale events in the area. I find the video mode at 640 x 480 is very good when its needed. Limited to 1 hour in length with a 2GB or larger card. Been using it when we do fire and rescue training here to grab short clips.

If you have any specific questions on this camera send me a private message and I will try to answer them. Its also pretty rugged as I have had it since May 4, 2007 and taken almost 20,000 pictures with it.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 10:01 AM   #9

try a dslr and you will forget about the video :-)

echinacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 12:18 PM   #10

Actually I'd love to try a DSLR but the enormous array of accessories and lenses give me the creeps and make me feel really ignorant (which I am right now in photography) the price is also a factor I mean I am unable to gather the courage to shell out that much money for something I know I wont be able to appreciate at this moment. But Guys your response inspired me to do more research and this is what I have finally summed up:-

My fetish for the knurling/or threads around the lens like those in DSLRs can only be satisfied by Fuji FinePix S series cameras. Well many of them don't have that pattern in their lenses (as someone have already mentioned that) some of them do. Like recently launched 100FS should be a really great camera but the price is around 700$ I think if I can wait for few of months it may drop. More affordable is finepix S9000/9500 or slightly upgraded S9100/9600 model which is around 400$ and currently the best buy for me. Cheapest one that suits me is finepix s6500FD which is now quite rare to find. As someone pointed out canon S5IS is good but that true DSLR look in the lens is missing. Panasonic DMZ-fz50 can also be a good option but the 500$ price tag is a deterrent for me. Kodak P880 is also OK but the 5.something optical zoom is not sufficient. So I think I got my answer and thanks to all for your participation.