Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 17, 2008, 3:48 PM   #1

Hey guys

My DSC-W50 just exploded and with a repair cost of £114 squid from sony, I think I would rather get a a new one!

So the main purpose of this camera is to take pictures of Grass snakes (Natrix natrix), which are a lovely species of snake that I am studying

So what are the guidelines?

- Must be able to use easily with one hand and fit into a pocket (but I do have quite large pockets I'll have you know )

- 10+ megapixals (hopefully 12) - I do a lot of cropping and mega need the quality

- very good macro functions - I take very close up shots of the snakes head, this is due to each snake having its own special pattern, so I can individualy identify them using this technique!

- some zoom - as in 6x optical or more

- handle outdoor conditions :- sunny, shady, raining etc

Soooo I have been doing my own research, I like the Canon G9 and the Panasonic DMC-TZ5! I handled them in the shop, the G9 is pretty dam chunky but I think I could get away with, I dunno if its just to feature rich for my needs, when it comes down to it I do just need a point and shoot. But it has to be a point and shoot that kicks ass!

So what do you think of those two cameras and what other options are on the market?

Cheers, Mark

Markay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2008, 5:48 PM   #2

If I were taking pictures of snakes it would be from a long way away, so I'd probably get the camera with the most optical zoom.

However, you're braver than I and would be content with a camera with a moderate zoom.

If I were you, I'd get a camera with a viewfinder, which I think makes it easier to track moving objects like snakes.

If the Canon G9 is not right for you, I'd recommend the Canon A650IS, which is practically the same as the G9 (same lens, processor, sensor, number of megapixels) but more consumer friendly (and much less expensive).
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 9:22 PM   #3

That G9 is a pretty heavy duty camera.

Which is good from my perspective 'cause I think the camera would suffer from many drops and falls while in my hand.

On the serious side, yourold Sony only weighed 150grams or so. That G9 is 375 grams. Yes, way more than double the weight.

Since you talk about one handed shooting, I would look at that TZ5 a lot more. It only weighs 245g. But the lens of the TZ5 may be overkill for you needs (280 mm equiv)

The new DMC-FS20 from Panny might be an option for you. 10 mega pixel, 30-120 mm equiv (4x) zoom, image stablization, 5cm macro, 170g. Under $200 in the USA. A lot of bang for the buck.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2008, 10:12 AM   #4

Im really leaning towards the TZ5, although the zoom is pretty big I think it may be useful to have

Its 9.1megpix, I could get the Lumix DMC-FX100 for £10 less and its 12.2megpix!

As I crop a lot is very useful to me ..hhmmm
Markay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 11:53 PM   #5

Markay wrote:
Quote:
Im really leaning towards the TZ5, although the zoom is pretty big I think it may be useful to have

Its 9.1megpix, I could get the Lumix DMC-FX100 for £10 less and its 12.2megpix!

As I crop a lot is very useful to me ..hhmmm
Pixels are not the cats meow.... you and me really are not going to be able to tell 9 from 12 or visa versa. Actually 6megapixel might be more than enough. But technology is allowing advances in the sensors that allow more pixels to be placed on the sensor.

Crop a lot and cropping ALOT is kinda of relative. I crop a lot, in that I reformat a picture and remove the distractions, but I seldom take a photo and clip out 10% of the shot and use the clipping.

I am looking at your snake picture. What was the original size of the picture. How much did you crop out?
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote