Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 19, 2008, 7:59 AM   #1

Hey everyone my name is Haylee Newton and I am an ammature photograher stuck with a Olympus sp 350 camera but has access to a nice Nikon D40 which is ok

am looking to buy a slr but my price range is low

to view my work here is my websites

http://hybrid-rats.deviantart.com/

www.hybrid-rats.co.uk

please comment

HybridPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2008, 8:41 AM   #2
Administrator

Welcome to the forums.

I've moved your thread down to our What Camera Should I Buy? forum, which is setup for these types of questions.

A good place to start your search would be Steve's Best Cameras List (which contains models deemed to be a good value within their market niche).

Quote:
am looking to buy a slr but my price range is low
IMO, the best "bang for the buck" right now in a low cost dSLR model is the Sony DSLR-A200 (which you can get for $499.99 with an 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 Autofocus Lens included). But, I'm probably a bit biased, since I'm shooting with a Sony DSLR right now.

The Sony A200 uses a Sony 10MP sensor. The entry level Nikon D40x and D60 use a Sony 10MP sensor (as do a number of other cameras). The Nikon D40 you're familiar with uses a lower resolution Sony 6MP sensor.

All are capable of taking great photos.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2008, 9:30 AM   #3

I agree with JimC that the Sony A200 would be a good choice, but with one caveat.

It seems from the photos that appear on the links that you provided, that you have an interest in close-up photography (if not exactly macrophotography.) The closest focusing distance on the Sony kit lens is 38cm, while the kit lenses for all other dSLRs in your price range can focus as close as 25cm. That is not to say that you couldn't use close-up lenses to get the Sony to focus closer, but out of the box, the others might have a slight advantage.

How do you feel about only being able to focus as close as 38cm?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2008, 9:48 AM   #4
Administrator

You can't look at focus distance alone when judging how suitable a lens is for closeups. ;-)

You also have to take the focal length you're using into consideration (because if you're using a longer focal length for a given focus distance, the subject can fill a larger percentage of the frame versus a shorter focal length lens at the same distance).

The Sony kit lens has 1:4 Maximum Magnification (which means it can fill the frame with a subject 4 times the size of the sensor. Maximum magnification of a zoom lens is rated at the longest focal length and closest focus distance (and the Sony kit lens goes to 70mm, versus a shorter 55mm with most other kit lenses).

A longer working distance (shooting from further away at 70mm versus from closer at 55mm for the same framing) also helps to prevent interference with lighting (so that you're not casting a shadow), and can help reduce the chance of spooking a live subject.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2008, 12:13 PM   #5

JimC is, of course, correct. Minimum focusing distance isn't the only factor involved in close-up photography, and having a longer focal length is good for being able to keep your distance from the subject, both to keep from spooking a live subject, and to keep from blocking your own light.

But while the Sony has a maxuimum magnification ratio of 1:4, Canon, Nikon and Pentax, with shorter focal length kitlenses, all do about 1:3.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote