Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 19, 2008, 9:04 AM   #1

My Nikon Coolpix 4500 has an option for 3:2 aspect ratio pictures. I know the sensor is actually 4:3, but the files are written as 3:2. Framing for 4x6 prints is a no brainer because there is no manual cropping required before printing. My wife is not as patient as I when it comes to photo editing, and would rather not have to crop everything before sending the files off to be printed, and 4x6 is the preferred print size (the actual need to print digital photographs for physical albums is a discussion for another time).

I just purchased a Canon A590IS and foolishly assumed it would also have this option, but it only has a 3:2 assist mode for the preview screen; the resulting file is still 4:3.

Does anyone know of a compact camera of the same caliber as the Canon A590IS that has a 3:2 aspect ratio option for the final file?
burnhamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2008, 1:01 PM   #2

The Fuji F50fd has 3 X 2 ratio images available. It's not exactly the same kind of camera as an A590, but it's better in low light. I think you can get it for around $200 online.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2008, 2:07 PM   #3

After some more investigation, I see that the cameras that do offer 3:2 format options lack the other features I was interested in, namely an optical viewfinder, AA battery power, and mechanical image stabilization (as opposed to digital correction). I may have to take no 3:2 as a trade-off for the other features.
burnhamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 8:45 AM   #4

burnhamish wrote:
Quote:
...would rather not have to crop everything before sending the files off to be printed, and 4x6 is the preferred print size ....
It's a shame to throw away pixels. My local photographic shop in Wrexham, UK with a fairly newAgfa printing machine, offers 4-inch or 5-inch prints, whatever the aspect ratio of the image. The paper comes off a roll and it's chopped when the machine finds the end of an image.

The same principle offers 8-inch or 12-inch 'dynamic' enlargements with the long dimension anything up to 18-inches, at remarkably low prices. I'm sure such machines must exist elsewhere.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote