Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 20, 2008, 11:23 PM   #1

I am in the market for a digital camera have done some research to answer most of my questions. I however need some guidance on what type of camera would be best for my needs. I went to the local brick and mortor store today however sadly the sells person seemed to know about as much about cameras as I do kind of disappointing so left without getting a answer to my question. So, I figured I would ask the forum to see if they could better aid me in my search for a new camera.

I have limited knowledge of photography however really want to get a good camera to take pictures of family, vacations etc. I upon my research believe the Panosonic FZ18 or the Nikon P80 are the main two cameras that, I am interested in or would, I be better off to get a entry level DLSR camera? Would the Nikon and Panosonic meet all my needs for now and quite some time? If all else fails can always go DSLR later down the road. With the Nikon it has 10 megapixels and the Pansonic has 8.1 megapixels what effect does it have on the quality of pics? If, I do go with the Panosonic or the Nikon models listed above which is the better camera?

Thanks

Safariman/Mike
safariman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2008, 5:54 AM   #2

An entry level DSLR will cost $500 at a minimum. You will probably want to add lenses for closeup (macro) and long range shooting so it will wind up costing you a lot more eventually.

The Panasonic FZ18 and Nikon P80 will cost between $300 and $400 but will not require any additional lenses to get macros and long range shots. They are both good cameras and will take nice looking photos in good light. However, they will struggle in low light in situations where you don't use a flash. A DSLR will do much better under those conditions. The difference in the number of megapixels between the Panasonic and Nikon is meaningless. The Panasonic has received better reviews than the Nikon but the Nikon is a newer model. I don't think there's much of a difference between them.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:39 AM   #3

$500 is a little more than I would want to spend. I do understand though that the DLSR do perform better in low light conditions. Most of my photos would be in plenty of light. So, the superzoom seems the way to go then.

So has anyone used both the Panosonic FZ18 and the Nikon P80 who can compare their performance? Read alot of the reviews your right Andy alot of people give the FZ-18 good reviews just want to know about the Nikon as does not seem to have many users as of yet or no one has got on to give it a review. Look forward to hearing more about this two models.

Thanks for the information Andy, I appreciate the insight.

Safariman/Mike
safariman is offline   Reply With Quote