Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 21, 2008, 7:56 PM   #1

I have every intention of picking up a d300next year but right now I am concentrating on my glass line up, I do mostly portrait work, but I also shoot theater and ballet, so I need

Fast AF (my D50 does OK but would be happy if it was faster)

Clean ISO up to 800 (I shoot mostly 200-400 but I do need the 800 sometimes)

Good Handle on RAW files

I have found the D100 and D50 both under 500 and I need to knowwhat your thoughts are based about what I have writtenor is there something else?
Thankyou
Kristal

kristala is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2008, 7:58 AM   #2

Wouldn't spending ~$500 on a 3, 4 or 5 year old dLSR to act as a backup for your 3 year old D50 delay the much more desireable goal of having a brand new D300 with a 3 year old D50 as a backup?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2008, 9:11 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply, I have a friend who wants to sell me his d100, after some researchI think I will pass, lol, I am very much in need of a new body as my current D50 has 65,000 acutations and I worry about it failing in the middle of a shoot.

I'll just pick a refurb D50 and get the D300 in a couple of months when the price (hopefully) drops

Kristal

I am a miser when it comes to camera bodies, good glass is what I love to spend money on
kristala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2008, 12:25 PM   #4

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Wouldn't spending ~$500 on a 3, 4 or 5 year old dLSR to act as a backup for your 3 year old D50 delay the much more desireable goal of having a brand new D300 with a 3 year old D50 as a backup?
Especially when you can get a brand new D40 with a kit lens (not great glass, but it can be sold or kept as a backup for emergency) for under $500. The D40 will be as good as or outperform the D50 in most areas, and will have better IQ than the D100. The D100 will be better featured and faster, but will likely have a lot of miles on it when you buy it. The flash system for the D100 is also quite dated and will be less functional with the current lineup of speedlights. Yes, the D40 will lack a focus motor, but if you've got/are buying better glass, most of the better Nikon glass will autofocus with the D40, the exception being the current selection of prime lenses.

rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote