Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 22, 2008, 1:47 PM   #1

Ok, back again with the same question. Summary, camera will be used for everything, but mostly aviation and automotive photography.

Here is what I'm comparing.

Pentax K200D with 18-55 and 50-200 ($750 after rebates)

Nikon D40 with 18-55 VR and 55-200 VR ($600-$650)

Olympus E-510 14-42 and 40-150 ($550)

Canon EOS 400D with 18-55 and 55-200 IS ($850)

My Pros Cons are as goes.

Pentax...

Pros, image quality, weather sealed, IS in body, body fits in my hands well, software looks nice, sensor cleaning

Cons, Rechargeable battery pack would require the purchase of NiHM AAs and charger, higher price than other options.

Nikon

Pros, image quality, and high ISO performance, rather affordable on my budget.

Cons, lack of features, lens selection, in body IS makes lenses more expensive, no sensor cleaning

Olympus

Pros, image quality, superior kit lenses, in body IS, selection of all available 4/3 lenses past and present, most affordable on the list, sensor cleaning

Cons, questionable highlight roll-off and shadow detail, dynamic said to be behind the pack.

Canon

Pros, image quality, high ISO performance, wide selection of canon and 3rd party lenses

Cons, PRICE on my budget, out of body IS means present and future lens additions with IS will be expensive, sensor cleaning unit questionable at best

Any other comments, things to add to the pros/cons list of each camera etc are much appreciated.
03SVTCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2008, 4:35 PM   #2

03SVTCobra wrote:
Quote:
Canon EOS 400D with 18-55 and 55-200 IS ($850)

Just to be clear, the 400D does not come with the 18-55 IS. That lens only comes with the 450D. And the Canon 55-200 is not IS; the 55-250 is IS.

03SVTCobra wrote:
Quote:
Nikon

Pros, image quality, and high ISO performance, rather affordable on my budget.

Cons, lack of features, lens selection, in body IS makes lenses more expensive, no sensor cleaning
..., 6MP image sensor compared to 10MP for the rest!

03SVTCobra wrote:
Quote:
Olympus

Pros, ...,selection of all available 4/3 lenses past and present, ...
The selection of 4/3 lenses 'past' is non-existant, and the selection of 4/3 lenses 'present' is slim (the slimest within your selection of dSLR bodies) and expensive.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2008, 4:46 PM   #3

03SVTCobra wrote:
Quote:
...camera will be used for everything, but mostly aviation and automotive photography. ...
Presuming that you're talking about moving aviation and automotive subjects, you'll need a fast autofocus system. That favors the Canon, and at the very least, excludes the Nikon and maybe the Olympus. If the Canon is too expensive, that leaves the Pentax.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote