Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 26, 2008, 6:06 AM   #11

Thanks for the info, StevieDgpt, but once again I want to emphasize that, because of vignetting, geometric distortion and corner softness, archiver should not zoom in too closely on the documents.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2008, 8:58 AM   #12

I just bought the Fuji Finepix f100fd, and will start taking photographs in two days - I actually think it will be more around dozens to maybe more than a hundred in a single day, but I think I can handle the weight of the camera.

One last question - should I try to zoom out as far as possible when taking the photographs (because of the factors that TCav mentioned)? And is it actually advantageous to use the built-in text mode? Any other things to keep in mind when working with a P&S camera and text?

Thanks guys!
archiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2008, 9:19 AM   #13

Congratulations on your new camera. I think you will like it.

Compact cameras sometimes have noticeable barrel distortion at their widest angle settings. Lines that should be straight are curved. If you look at reviews on dcresource.com, you can see examples of this.

Whether you need to zoom out a little depends on what your task is. Are you satisftied with the text in the images just being easily legible so that you can read them for your own research? If that is the case, maybe you can use the widest angle settings. If not, maybe you need to zoom out a little. I think you have to experiment a little and see what works best for you.

Should you use the text setting? I did on my F50fd when I was trying to capture an image for OCR processing. Would I have gotten equally good images with other scene modes. I don't know.

Why don't you try out your camera on some books or magazines you have lying around your apartment?
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2008, 10:06 AM   #14

I think you should keep all your settings clear of the extremes. The aperture should not be wide open, andthe ISO should not be at its upper limit. That leaves the shutter speed at whatever you can to get a proper exposure. Also, keep the zoom near the middle of the range.

The same goes for the documents you want to photograph. Keep them so that there's about a %10 border around the document you want to photograph.

And good luck, and let us know how it goes!
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote