Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 23, 2008, 11:48 AM   #1

I am considering these two choices as they are available through a rewards program. I had originally considered dSLR (Canon XSi vs Sony a200), but can only get the basic camera and single kit lens through company and not sure I want to spend the dollars or energy using a dSLR (I want a wide range lens / lenses).

I am interested in comments of speed of these two cameras and IQ. (I am an old film SLR user), but now am tending to value convenience and usablility over perfection.....but I still have a high threshold for quality.

upsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2008, 12:29 PM   #2

I would get the Canon Xsi with kit lens, sell it on Ebay for at least $700, and then buy either of the two cameras you suggested, which cost about $350 or less.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2008, 12:41 PM   #3

robbo wrote:
Quote:
I would get the Canon Xsi with kit lens, sell it on Ebay for at least $700, and then buy either of the two cameras you suggested, which cost about $350 or less.
Net impact is that is costs me less to get the Superzooms than to get an XSi, so no need to buy and resell.
upsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2008, 3:29 PM   #4

I had an Olympus SP-550 and then upgraded to the 560. I just got a Pentax K200D and used it yesterday with Sigma 28-300MM zoom lens. Here's my impression. The SP-560 is much smaller and lighter and easier to carry around. With it, I have a range of 27-486mm, which I can't match with a DSLR and a single zoom lens (the closest is a Tamron 18-250 lens which costs almost $500). My Sigma lens isn't perfect; you can see distortion off the center of the image, but it doesn't bother me much. It also captures more details at full zoom (in good light) than the SP-560 though the latter isn't bad.

In short, if you don't care about perfection, I would get a superzoom. The Olympus has RAW images available. Also, you can buy an extension tube to add a teleconverter. Officially, the Fuji can't take extension tubes. However, the S8100 can use SD cards as well as xD cards.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2008, 1:19 AM   #5

upsidedown-

Robbo has given you some great advice. If size is a consideration, then go with the superzooms, it is a better (meaning more convenient) package.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2008, 7:46 PM   #6

You get what you pay for buying cameras. I have the 560 and I can get pretty good results with it. If you want super IQ nothing beats a camera with a larger sensor and good lense which is a dslr. On the bridge camera side I would go with the Olympus SP 570 and spend a little more than the 560. The 570 has better IQ and people who know how to use it are getting crisp, clean shots. A 27 to 520 mm equiv range gives you the most you can get out of a single lense camera and it has a ton of features like the dslrs with a hotshoe for those who use flash a lot. You will have a learning curve before you start getting good shots with any of the superzooms oly puts out, I can't speak for the fz 18 or the other competitors and I've seen great shots from them also, but these are bridge cameras, they have a lot of features and work best in PAS or M mode. They should not be placed in the point and shoot catagory, they are for advanced amateurs or someone that is willing to put the time in to learn and not get frustrated because their first few shots are terrible. If you want to see what the 560 can do here is a shot from about 40 feet away in manual mode, tcon attached and tripod.
Eric
Attached Images

eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 5:09 PM   #7

Eric has given you some excellent advice. The Oly SP-560 is no slouch at all. The next step beyond that is a consumer level DSLR. The choice is yours!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote