Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 25, 2008, 2:30 AM   #1

Would love to know which digital camera is best suited for shooting artwork in the studio...to be posted on internet and printed. I've been researching and am more confused than before I started. Thanks in advance, Suz:shock:
SuzArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2008, 4:33 PM   #2

"Looking for best Digital Camera at best price"

Who isn't?

I presume that you'll be photographing paintings, not sculpture, and nothing smaller than 5"x7" or larger than 5'x7'.

One of the things you'll discover if you try to go too cheap is that cheap lenses suffer from vignetting, geometric distortion and softness in the corners, so you'll want to keep the artwork away from the edges of teh frame, and so you'll want enough resolution so that what you have left will give you a good quality image to work with.

I also presume that you'll be shooting in good light, and think you'll need to learn about White Balance.

I think that a dSLR would be agood choices for what you want to do, partly because of the greater control it will give you, partlybecause of the physicallly larger image sensors they use,and partly because of the superior optics they have available. But all that doesn't come cheap.

What's your budget?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2008, 6:15 PM   #3

Thanks Much for the response--yep it's fine art painting. That's basically the conclusion that I came to after my research. I was considering the Nikon D40 or D60...leaning toward the D60 unless it doesn't make much difference. Your feedback is confirming my direction--any other thoughts? Again, thanks--Suz
Old Jul 25, 2008, 7:18 PM   #4

You probably also want to use a macro lens (micro in Nikon parlance). Some telephoto zoom lenses advertise that they are macro but the real ones are primes (fixed focal length) such as 60mm, 105mm, 200mm. They have very flat planes of focus with no distortion and very little vignetting.

You will also need a good tripod unless you can manage to use flash. Even then you should use two flash units set up in a V on either side of the subject to avoid reflections.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2008, 7:55 PM   #5

White balance and metering....whatever camera you buy, you'll need to use both of these right in order to get the results you want. I would not even bother with flash units. Set your studio up with good ambient lighting, which will be easier to work with than flash, get the white balance right and meter the frame right and you'll wind up with good results.

Last Fall I was shooting paintings in one of the best galleries for paintings in the Louvre. No tripods allowed, but using spot metering and the existingambient light levels I took some pictures I was very pleased with....and I was not lugging around a DSLR..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...01530333_Tvj7N

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2008, 8:12 PM   #6

Old Jul 25, 2008, 8:13 PM   #7

PS...Impressive work. S
Old Jul 25, 2008, 8:14 PM   #8

I appreciate all the input and info...Thanks, S
Old Jul 25, 2008, 8:15 PM   #9

Old Jul 25, 2008, 10:40 PM   #10

Shooting those marble works is such a bytch. All those shadows and off white color.

Ya did a good job. Love the Ceiling Detail shot.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote