Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 28, 2008, 4:17 PM   #21

Nice photos, TCav!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 6:40 PM   #22

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Nice photos, TCav!
Thanks! I was just driving past a local 'greasy spoon' (not even a particularly good one) when I saw that the parking lot was full of 'Vettes. On the passenger seat I happened to have my KM5D with the Tamron 17-50/2.8 attached.

Sometimes, stuff just happens.

If I could get a clear shot, I backed up and zoomed in. But some had other cars alongside, so I had to get close and zoom out. Those are the ones with the goofy perspective.
Attached Images

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 7:00 PM   #23

TCav-

In all fairness you always supply excellent answers for folks who post on the Forum.

I really admire how you have stayed with this thread. I too (with over 7,000 replies on this Forum) think that the the Sony A-200 is the REAL answer for the OP.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 28, 2008, 7:05 PM   #24

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
In all fairness you always supply excellent answers for folks who post on the Forum.

I really admire how you have stayed with this thread. ...
Thank you. You are very kind.

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
... I too (with over 7,000 replies on this Forum) think that the the Sony A-200 is the REAL answer for the OP.
I think that most of us agree that the A200 is the better choice. My point is that, for what the OP wants to do, he should really spend the money on a fast prime (a used Minolta 50mm f/1.7 for ~$100 would do well.)
Old Jul 28, 2008, 7:56 PM   #25

In all honesty folks! The Minolta 50mm F 1.7 lens which can be purchased on E-bay for $(US) 75.00 or there abouts, so it is an absolute bargain, is the answer of our Original Poster.

Car Fans! Go with the Sony A-200 and a Minolta 50mm F 1.7 lens (a really great lens) at a bargain price!

That will be the REAL answer, at the lowest cost for you.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 28, 2008, 8:35 PM   #26

Actually, since Sony introduced the A200, A300 and A350, used Minolta lenses have jumped in price. The 50/1.7 goes for about $100 (I paid $80), the Beercan goes for about $200 (I paid $150), and the 135/2.8 goes for $300 (I paid $240). These prices are comparable to equivalent lenses for other brands, except for the Beercan which remains an extraordinary bargain.

The more obscure ones are going for more than they did when they were new. The 100/2.0 is going for $1,000. the 35/2.0 is going for $600 and the 28/2.0 is going for $450. That's more for used lenses than Canon and Nikon users are paying for new lenses!
Old Jul 28, 2008, 8:49 PM   #27

TCav-

That is why I continually say that any Konica-Minolta 5D's are an excellent buy on www.ebay.com. Then add to that little formula those great Konica Minotla lenses that are available at bargain prices. With that combination you have a bargain priced DSLR camera that is REALLY hard to beat price-wise.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 29, 2008, 12:04 AM   #28

I'm not surprised that the olderKM lenses are starting to get expensive - the same thing happened to old Pentax lenses as more and more people discovered how good the PentaxdSLRs are and so a bunch of people started chasing after the best lenses. I thought the prices were stabilizing last year, but not so - they've continued to go up (though the 300mm lenses seem to have stabilized now that Pentaxis selling the new DA*300 lens). I thoughtit was crazy thatI paid $250 for anunsold older Vivitar Series One 105mm lens last year, but earlierthis summer a used version sold forover $300. Before Pentax came out with the K100 thesame lens was going fornot much over $100!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2008, 12:29 PM   #29

You make a good point, Harriet-

As DSLR cameras have become more popular once again, we have seen a pattern of gradually increasing prices on the older used lenses that used to be a real bargain.

Sarah Joyce