Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 27, 2008, 12:57 PM   #1

Dear all, I finally decided to pick up cameras again to take pictures, it has been a while 6 years with SLR. I am struggling with 5d or 40d, please give me your opinions on them. It will be greatly appreciated!!! And I will purchase though Ebay from the following they got a pretty good feedback what do you think? they are selling 5d kits for $2300 and 40d kits for around $890.

sunshineelec
mak15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2008, 7:01 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Well both cameras are very nice.

But I would seriously stay away from those "kits" on ebay. What a load of trash - a decent camera with 2 poor and 1 complete rubbish lenses, rubbish tripod, rubbish CF card, etc. Why not let the guy just mug you?

Get the camera with a decent lens, buy from B&H or some other reputable seller.

What type of photographs do you like to take? It matters quite a bit as to which camera and lenses to choose.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2008, 10:44 PM   #3

Dear all, I went to their store today and found they have a lot of electronics in stack, I still not sure if it is one of the scam store!? I had decided just get the canon 5d body only, they charge me $1860 cash only plus tax. what do you guys think? They also mentioned the 3 years warranty for 299, should I buy it?
Thanks for your reply! I will be doing landscape and portrait.

Is there different between digic 3 and digic 2 (Processor)? Thanks!
Old Jul 28, 2008, 1:48 AM   #4
Super Moderator

It's not definitely a scam. But ask yourself how they can ship a camera for that much less than a reputable store like B&H.

The 5D is a very good camera for landscape and portrait. I have one myself and that's what I use it for. But you would be better off with a 40D and excellent lens than 5D and poor lens.

The 5D and kit lens (24-105L) is an excellent setup, and may be all you need. But that sells for $3000, if you have less to spend then I recommend you go with the 40D which is fantastic value for money these days and a very capable camera indeed.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 10:25 PM   #5

Dear peripatetic, Thanks, your inputs are greatly appreciated!