Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 28, 2008, 2:02 AM   #1

I have done some much reading in the last week or so about cameras. I ruled out the Nikon P80 seems to be a great camera just not very user friendly. I am now down to two models and would like a suggestion or suggestions which way to go. I plan to make a purchase in the next day or so. I am trying to decide between the Panosonic FZ 18 and the TZ 5. The FZ 28 will be out soon which should bring the cost of the FZ 18 down. However money is not a issue. I considered a DSLR however don't want to haul around a bunch of lenses and the wife did not want to spend that much on a camera.

I would really appreciate any input the wonderful people on this board could provide.

Again thanks for your time.

Safariman/Mike
safariman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2008, 12:40 PM   #2

Mike-

I own and like the Panasonic TZ-5 and the FZ-18. The FZ-18 as a camera has more options and more manual control. However, the FZ-18 does not have the new Venus IV chip, while the TZ-5 does have it.

The recently introduced FZ-28 will have the Venus IV chip, but it may be awhile before we see it on the shelves in stores. Therefore, I must say if you want to buy now, the better choice will be the TZ-5. The FZ-18 is no slouch, but it will be even better with the more advanced Venus IV chip, which will be the FZ-28.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2008, 12:56 AM   #3

Sarah,

Would there be that big of a difference in the zoom between the 10x on the TZ 5 and the 18X on the FZ18?

Thanks

Safariman/Mike
safariman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2008, 1:15 AM   #4

Yes, there is indeed a considerable difference between the capabilities of the Panasonic FZ-18 and the TZ-5. That is exactly the point I was attempting to make in my post to you. If now is the issue, then my advice is to go for the FZ-18, it is really a great camera. The TZ-5 is essentially a point and shoot camera with excellent capabilities, but certainly LESS zoom and less camera options than the FZ-18.

However, Mike, you must keep in mind that the final choice is YOURS alone.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote