Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 31, 2008, 11:01 AM   #11

any particular reason why you are only looking at nikon and canon?

I ask this because as the industry leaders, they are usually more expensive than some of the other smaller brands.
dlpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2008, 11:19 AM   #12

I chose these two because Konica and Minolta are dead thanks to Sony.
Pentax well... I just do not like the ergonomics of the body.
Olympus. I do not care for I have owned several Olympus cameras and I just did not enjoy them.

Nikon I have a slight familiarity with I owned a 35mm slr N60 and I loved it.
And canon is just popular and obviously right up there with Nikon.

I am just assuming they are two great companies in the optics field and figured I could get a nice body by choosing there brands.

Yes I understand it is just "stupid" to buy a decent or good body and mount a bad lens on it. But I am planning on getting a good lens further down the road. I can always resell if I'm discontent. (that's worse come to worse.)

AutumnCrusade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2008, 2:40 PM   #13

AutumnCrusade wrote:
Quote:
I chose these two because Konica and Minolta are dead thanks to Sony.
Konica and Minolta are alive and kicking, thank you. They're just not in the camera business anymore. Konica's canera business was gone years ago, and Minolta's SLR business just change hands. Some of Minolta's lenses unquestionably qualify as 'Best in Class', and that tradition continues under Sony. But they are not cheap.

If you are interested in image stabilization and want to keep using your N60, then Nikon is the way to go.

Certainly, Canon and Nikon have much better selections of lenses and accessoriesfrom the OEMs and from third parties. And I understand your reason for excluding Pentax. But I think you might be missing out if you just exclude the Sony offerings. And there are always Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D and 5D dSLRs available on eBay that you could take advantage of. If you can handle a Sony A200, you'll find the feel of a KM5D is very similar.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2008, 4:09 PM   #14

Quote:
and that tradition continues under Sony.
Sony is O.K. They have pros and cons like every company. One con is that bloody magic memory stick... Eh.

Sony is a heavy weight thanks to the cybershot. But can sony really take the load of Minolta's Cameras? I have had 2 km cameras (Dimage Z3 & Z10) I loved them both. However I really do not see Sony keeping the same quality as Minolta...

What is all this hype about the Sony "A" Series? I have seen it everywhere from catalogs to internet ads. Is it good for it's money?
AutumnCrusade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2008, 5:14 PM   #15

AutumnCrusade wrote:
Quote:
Sony is O.K. They have pros and cons like every company. One con is that bloody magic memory stick... Eh.
I agree about the Memory Stick, but the Sony Alpha series dSLRs also support CF Cards.

AutumnCrusade wrote:
Quote:
Sony is a heavy weight thanks to the cybershot. But can sony really take the load of Minolta's Cameras? I have had 2 km cameras (Dimage Z3 & Z10) I loved them both. However I really do not see Sony keeping the same quality as Minolta...
Sony has a beter distribution network than Minolta ever had, the reviews for thecurrent Sony Alpha series dSLRs have been quite good, and Sony isselling more dSLRs than Minolta ever did.

Sony seems to be doing ok so far.

AutumnCrusade wrote:
Quote:
What is all this hype about the Sony "A" Series? I have seen it everywhere from catalogs to internet ads. Is it good for it's money?
The "A"Seriesare the "Alpha", or more correctly, the α(Greek letter Alpha) Series. Minolta used the name 'Maxxum' for its AF SLRs in this hemisphere, 'Dynax' in Europe, Africe and the Middle East, and 'Alpha' in the Far East. Sony is just using 'Alpha' everywhere.

Which probably means that, unless Sony uses 'Maxxum' for something, some day somebody else can use it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2008, 8:52 PM   #16

AutumnCrusade wrote:
Quote:
However I really do not see Sony keeping the same quality as Minolta...

Long time Minolta Camera owner (my firstcamerawas a Minolta, my Minolta slr from1983 is still alive and well 25 years later,my first and only dSLR isa Minolta).

Of all the companies out there to have bought Minolta, Sony is the one company that I would expect to continue Minolta's reputation and traditions. When properly motivated, Sony can make some darn fine (durable, reliable, cutting edge design) components.

BTW, as fast as electronics areevolving, there is something generally referred to as"product DNA". The MinoltaCamera DNA continue in the Sony cameras oftoday. Reviewers continue to compare the Sony products to the Minoltaproducts. In many instancesthe Sony cameras are sharing the samephysical structures and mechanical componentsas the Minolta 5D and 7D with enhancements to the electronics and features by Sony.

So maybe some of the hype about Sony Alpha's is a bit deserved.

StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2008, 6:32 PM   #17

AutumnCrusade wrote:
Quote:
However I really do not see Sony keeping the same quality as Minolta...
Interesting how different people perceive things. I still think the Sony F717 was one of the best cameras in it's class, and I'd still be using mine if it hadn't developed problems after 3 years of heavy use. Other camera manufacturers use Sony's sensors in their well-rated cameras. If Sony had been in the dSLR market when I bought my first dSLR, I'd probably own an A700 by now. It seems like they have made a big commitment to dSLR cameras and will be in the market for the long haul, providing quality products as good as my F717 was.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2008, 12:06 AM   #18

if you are on a $500 budget then your camera is sony a200 like i did. absolutely i see very little competition to that camera. (it has its shortcomings but i won't get into it in this post).
whisky_n_whisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2008, 5:50 PM   #19

w-n-w and MtnGal-

I agree with the excellent point being made. Sony has invested heavily in developing their DSLR cameras and particularly the A-200 provides a lot of bang for the buck. As kit lenses go the Sony 18-70mm lens is no powerhouse, but the value is there.

The A-200 offers folks wanting to get started with a DSLR camera a very viable path to getting on board.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 1:50 AM   #20
Super Moderator

I agree with Sarah,

The Sony A200 is a heck of a deal, good quality at a brilliant price.

The only I have against Sony is that I still haven't forgiven them for the rootkit fiasco with their music CDs, and their general corporate lock-in strategy. I have been boycotting them ever since. But they do make fine products.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote