Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 31, 2008, 7:17 AM   #1

I am on a $500 dollar budget to finally get a dslr camera. I'm only 16 right now but I'm tired of having point and shoot compact cameras (not that there's anything wrong with having a sidekick though...) But I am on a budget and undecided on what dSLR to get.

I'm thinking Canon right now because they are simply cheaper then Nikon.

I'm looking at the Canon EOS 20D in good but used condition.
I planned on mounting a Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM Lens.

I think the 20D is an Ef and Ef-s Mount...

I know the rebel lineup is cheaper. But I wanted something a little bit better then the rebel series.

If anyone disagrees with me going Canon and thinks I should go Nikon could you tell me a decent Nikon camera to get with a 300mm telephoto lens in my price range.

And if you could think of a better lens for my canon (I'm planning on getting) that is near the same price with 300mm or plus focal length shed some light...

This is the first dSLR I'm getting. Please help me make it a good one.

Cheers,
Greg
AutumnCrusade is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2008, 7:51 AM   #2

Since you're on a limited budget and willing to go with a used camera, that makes it harder for us to make a recommendation since the selection of used cameras is limited and volatile.

As far as a used 20D goes, that's a four year old camera! That can be a lifetime for a dSLR! Does it come with a warranty or a guarantee, or are you buying it from a close relative?

And as to the Canon 75-300, the Sigma APO and the Tamron Di LD are betterand cost about the same.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2008, 8:17 AM   #3

I buy everything from ebay. I've been on ebay for about... 4 years now and never had issues. Yes the camera will have a guarantee.

I cannot seem to find any 300mm sigma ef mount lenses. I'm continuing to look though.

Yes. I am aware the 20d is 4 years old =/ eh...

I just read an article on Nikon slrs that they use the same mount as cameras dating back to the 70's.

Would it be better to throw another $100 on a nikon dslr body to get an older lens that's auto focus...?

Old Jul 31, 2008, 8:30 AM   #4

AutumnCrusade wrote:
Quote:
I just read an article on Nikon slrs that they use the same mount as cameras dating back to the 70's.

Would it be better to throw another $100 on a nikon dslr body to get an older lens that's auto focus...?
Actually, the only dSLR brand that can't use older lenses is Olympus. When they started off with digital, they created a new lens mount. Canon, Nikon, Pentax and Sony (Minolta) can all use lenses from the '70s and '80s. Nikon, however, made a few minor changes to their mount over the years, and there can be problems and/or a loss of function when using a really old Nikon lens and a dLSR.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 8:40 AM   #5

Well this is really putting me on the spot.

I'm not sure what to do. All I know is it's either Nikon or Canon.

My options for Nikon

D40 ( not to old)
D100 (old)
D70

If I go with Nikon I can only dump about $245 into a lens.
And I really need a maximum fl of 300mm or plus

Options for Canon
20D
10D
Rebel XT =/
Rebel 300D

If I go with canon I can dump $250-$280 into a lens.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 8:41 AM   #6

I also wanted to get a 1.4x teleconverter for the camera chosen.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 10:17 AM   #7

What are you shooting?

Generally, inexpensive 70- (or 75) -300 lenses are pretty soft and suffer from a lot of chromatic abberationpast 200mm, and inexpensive teleconverters make it worse.

You may spend a lot of time and effort trying to find something that will do what you want, and end up very disappointed with the results.

Especially on a $500 budget.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 10:45 AM   #8

Just a side point, which ever camera you purchase now, you will be needing to stay with them unless you plan on reinvesting in lenses and accessories in the future. My daughter is a few years younger than you and is in the same boat. She decided to go Nikon only sense she could then 'borrow' my lenses
DragonRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2008, 10:54 AM   #9

See Viewing Photos On A Computer for a problem with the lens you're considering.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 11:01 AM   #10

Yes, I do understand what ever I invest in now will keep me in the "boat'' for ever... Which is fine.

The reason I'm on a $500 -$575 budget is due to me investing another $350 into a camera business I'm starting on eBay. (the business is actually looking bright.)

I am shooting for fun right now. Meaning anything from the sky to the road anything is game. I am going to get three lenses. The crappy lens that comes in a kit with the camera. A 75-300mm sigma. and another smaller sigma.

I will eventually get some nice lenses but for now I just want to have the slr and play around. My business will provide me with some side "petty" cash if you will to get me bigger lenses.

Nikon does seem to be a right choice due to the fact that I can get a newer camera for only $75 more then the 20d. I've been holding on to the 20d just because it has an outstanding 8 mega pixels and a decent size sensor.

Like I said.
Nikon dSLR w/ kit lens
1 75-300 mm sigma lens.
1 smaller sigma lens.

And I will put the 1.4x tele conv. on hold due to the deterioration of quality.