Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 3, 2008, 7:02 PM   #1

Dear all, I was planning to waiting for the newer version of Canon EOS 5d (If you are from CANON please market it soon, because the old one is really OLD!) Sorry, off the topic a bit!

My friend asked me, " Why do you have to buy the $3000 DSLR, when you can spend $600 or the others(EOS 40D $1300)?" My answer, "Because they have larger sensor same size as 35mm camera, faster shutter speed (40D has the same speed?) and when holding it you will look like a Professional Photographer." Then, we laughed off the topic. I feel ignorant by gave out the stupid answer.

Let say the new 5D came out and the difference are the DIGIC 3, 3" LCD, Dust Control and Shutter Speed. Compare with EOS 40D, can you give me some reasons why I should buy EOS 5D? I know the Full CMOS Senser can give us better picture quality. Thank you so much!!! Advice greatly appreciated!!!
mak15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2008, 7:51 PM   #2

What's the difference between a $3000 camera and a $600 camera?

The $3000 camera has predictive autofocus.

The $3000 camera has a pentaprism, while the $600 camera uses a pentamirror. Pentaprisms are brighter than pentamirrors, and are also smaller and more durable.

The $3000 camera has a full fram image sensor, while the $600 camera has an APS-C size image sensor.

The $3000 camera has interchangeable focusing screens.

The $3000 camera has higher and lower ISO Settings.

The $3000 camera has a shutter speed of 1/8000 sec., while the $600 camera only goes as high as 1/4000 sec.

The $3000 camera can take 800 shots on a single battery, while the $600 camera can only take 500.

The $3000 camera is a bigger, more durable camera, providing features and capabilitiesfor professionals, while the $600 camera is a tool for hobbyists.

What's the difference between a minivan and a tractor-trailer?

What's the difference between a pickup truck and a dump truck?

What's the difference between a Kia and a McLaren-Mercedes?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2008, 10:51 PM   #3

I totally agreed on what you said. What I was trying to say I have very hard time choosing 40D and 5D.

Comparing 40d and 5d, it seems like 40d has everything 5d has, except the larger sensor. At some points, 40d has better features than 5d. So why do I spend over $3000 for the 5d, when it is not compatible with those Rebel camera at some points? Correct me if I am wrong here! Thanks for your advices!!!

P.S. Right now, I am waiting to purchase the next generation of 5D, I think Canon will anounce it before Christmas.
mak15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2008, 11:02 PM   #4

mak15 wrote:
Quote:
P.S. Right now, I am waiting to purchase the next generation of 5D, I think Canon will anounce it before Christmas.
I don't think $3,000 full frame digital SLRs are "Christmas" things. Perhaps by PMA 2009.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2008, 8:13 AM   #5
Super Moderator

All other things being equal bigger sensors, like bigger film formats are desirable because they allow you more headroom to operate within design parameters.

Don't forget when the 5D was released it was an upgrade from the 20D, 2 generations behind the current 40D.

Compared to the 20D (and 40D).

It had a better viewfinder (the gap has closed but still exists.)

It had much better high-ISO performance (the gap has closed but still exists.)

It had more pixels (the gap has closed but still exists.)

It has a lower pixel density on the sensor. (from which other good things flow, and that gap has got wider now.)

Itgives shallower DOF at the same angle-of-view and f-stop. This is good if you like that sort of thing, bad if you don't.

Makes different use of the range of Canon lenses, many of which were designed with FF in mind. e.g. I like shooting with a 50mm prime. There is no crop equivalent lens made by Canon. Allows you to use the Canon L range at the "crop" that the designers intended i.e. no crop.

In short the 5D is a camera which produces wonderful images, but frankly it's not exactly a wonderful camera. The 40D has more features and is arguably better as a camera.

For portrait and landscape work, particularly combined with the best lenses it is still a superb tool at a very good price. But if you aren't sure you need it then you probably don't.

It suits my photography very well, andhas more features thanI actually need. So for me it's just perfect. I can only think of one feature that the newer cameras have that I would like - the ability to micro-adjust focus calibration to my specific lenses. Apart from that itis perfect for me.

The 40D is a great all-rounder at a very good price and unless you are a prettygood photographer you won't see any benefit to the 5D under most circumstances.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote